KCL Women’s Hockey Enjoy Turning-Point Year

Logo courtesy of KCLSU

Culture Editor Connor Williams reviews the season and examines the Varsity chances of at the new-look Women’s Hockey team.

With an almost entirely new squad this season, the KCL Women’s Hockey team enters the Varsity showdown with a fresh selection of bright, keen and high-energy players. In a recent interview, Captain Gracie Andrew told Roar that this is “the strongest and most enjoyable team I’ve played with at King’s”.

Due to so many new members of the team, it is safe to say that a new culture has emerged amongst the squad. The team now enjoy an atmosphere which is “close-knit, communicative, and inclusive”, enabling the team to perform well as a unit and navigate the season’s highs and lows together.  

As the big game approaches, Gracie told Roar that Varsity presents a “very different environment from the usual games they play” given the larger-than-usual turnout of support. However, she also mentioned that “we do better when we are expecting a harder match”, potentially tipping the odds in the team’s favour. There is already an excitement among the squad as they anticipate what is always an “enjoyable day”, although Gracie also admitted that nerves may set in closer to the match.  

As she reflects on the season, Gracie feels that there is strength in the midfield and in the team’s capacity to hold onto the ball, but translation from possession into goals has been a struggle. Additionally, she acknowledged that starting games with full focus has not been outstanding at times – occasionally resulting in some early-onset low morale. However, with the team’s well-practised talent of boosting each other’s spirits, there’s high hopes that this won’t hinder their performance in the upcoming match.  

On the day of the game, Gracie said the team plans to arrive early after a whole team dinner the night before, to ensure that the squad is well-connected, rested and ready for the game. It’s clear that this year’s team has already formed a tight-knit group and it appears we’re witnessing not just a team preparing for this Varsity match alone; rather King’s have a squad which is set to grow and improve over the next two years to become the reigning Varsity champions. 

You can watch KCL Women’s Hockey at the Lee Valley Stadium on 16 March at 17:30.