KCL Announces New Scholarship for Students

Roar Treasurer Naz Karadede discusses the new scholarship offered at King’s College London, funded by the Raheem Sterling Foundation.

On April 24, King’s College London announced a new scholarship in partnership with the Raheem Sterling Foundation. The scholarship will be implemented to support 7 British students of Black, African and Caribbean heritage from lower socio-economic backgrounds over the next 3 years. As of the academic year commencing in September 2023, the first two scholarships will be made available to students.

The aim of the scholarship will ultimately be to increase social mobility for Black British students and support their access to higher education. It is a new addition to the widening participation work that takes place at King’s, which includes projects and initiatives to support students from under-represented groups in higher education.

“This opportunity will help young people access further education and present them with experiences and opportunities that will enhance their future career prospects.”

Raheem Sterling MBE, the founder of the foundation

The idea was initiated by Dr. Sam De Canio, a Senior Lecturer in Political Economy. In 2020, he set up a fund to support Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic students in the department who were impacted by the pandemic. “We wanted to build on this work to support social mobility, and we are thrilled that the Raheem Sterling Foundation is partnering with King’s,” he describes.

The Raheem Sterling Foundation was founded by the footballer, Raheem Sterling, in 2021. It aims to support young people in their pursuit of their careers and increase the opportunities available to them, specifically through social mobility and increased access to higher education.

Scholarship applications for degree programmes commencing in the 2023/2024 will close on May 28. More information regarding the application process and the eligibility can be found here.

Roar writer Diya Nadeem on KCL’s decreasing QS ranking, what’s behind it, and what it means for students. As the time comes near for...

Unicast Entertainment Writer Basheer Alsayd on the importance of representation in popular culture and the workplace The semester is over, you’ve studied hard (or...

Roar writer Manya Sareen reflects on the impact of Covid-19 on the fashion industry. It took massive forest fires, melting of the polar icecaps,...

Following Census 2021’s Community Hero Campaign , Roar interviewed one of the members of the jury panel – Deborah Okenla, Founder and CEO of...