King’s rejects plans to ‘ban the National Anthem’ at graduation

Photo credit: KCLSU

Photo credit: KCLSU

The story reached national headlines, following publication from the Daily Mail, the Sun and the Telegraph.

King’s College London have rejected claims of plans to remove the national anthem at graduation ceremonies. A spokesperson for the College said: “Following the article published in the Daily Mail, we can confirm we have no plans to remove the national anthem from graduation ceremonies.”

The claim comes after Mahamed Abdullahi, Vice President for Welfare & Community at KCLSU, posted a Facebook status, calling for the removal of the song because it is ‘not reflective of the ‘global’ values that the college espouses’.

image

The story was originally reported by the Tab at King’s. It has since been taken down. However public reaction remains strongly divided:

In a statement issued yesterday, the College said “We are always open to feedback from students, staff and alumni and are currently in discussion with KCLSU student officers about various elements of the ceremonies, including the use of the national anthem”.

Mahamed was unavailable for comment.

Corrections made 09/19/2016

Turnout-related drops in drink prices at the Vault and Guy’s Bar during the 2024 King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU’s) elections led to total...

News Editor Imogen Dixon reports on this year’s London Varsity rugby matches. The final fixtures of the 2024 Varsity season followed the confirmation of...