The Most Anticipated Films at the BFI London Film Festival 2024

Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield star in We Live In Time. Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals.

Culture Editor Alicia Khan gives a breakdown of some of the most exciting films at the BFI London Film Festival as well as tips on how to secure tickets for sold out screenings and premieres.

The BFI London Film Festival (LFF) 2024 is here! 

From ground-breaking dramas to dedicated storytelling, Roar have compiled a list of the most anticipated films showing at the BFI LFF as well as all the ways you can catch them before the festival comes to an end!

So whether you’re intending to catch a watch at the festival or discover new films to look forward to, we’ve got your list covered with the ones we’re most excited for.

Blitz’
Saoirse Ronan in Blitz. Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals
Saoirse Ronan in ‘Blitz’. Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals

Official release date: 1 Nov 2024

“A film that unfolds as a breath-taking love letter to a complex and cosmopolitan city on the brink of collapse” (Kevin Maher, Times, Rotten Tomatoes)

From the director of an Oscar winning production ’12 Years a Slave’, Steve McQueen tells a story of London during its blitzkrieg by the Germans from September 1940 to May 1941. The plot follows the journey of George, a 9-year-old boy sent to the English countryside by his mother Rita (played by Saoirse Ronan) for safety. However, determined to get back to his mother, George embarks on his own adventure; at the same time, Rita looks for her missing son.

Bird
Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals

Official release date: 8 Nov 2024

“The film takes magical-realist flight and transforms into something unlike anything Arnold’s done before” (Leslie Felperin, The Hollywood Reporter, Mubi)

Set in North Kent, the movie follows a 12-year-old Bailey who lives with her single dad Bug and brother Hunter. Because her father doesn’t give her much attention, she seek adventure elsewhere. Directed by widely accredited Andrea Arnold and starring prominent Barry Keoghan as Bug, the film has been repeatedly tied to magical realism in relation to its poetic storytelling.

Conclave
Ralph Fiennes stars as Cardinal Lawrence in Conclave. Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals
Ralph Fiennes stars as Cardinal Lawrence in ‘Conclave’. Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals

Official release date: 29 Nov 2024

“Conclave weaves an engrossing tale that always seems to have one more twist left up its billowy sleeves than you’re expecting” (Ross McIndoe, Slant Magazine, Rotten Tomatoes)

Following on from the Oscar-winning ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’, Edward Berger directs another similar yet very different story of conflict. ‘Conclave’ portrays Cardinal Lawrence (Ralph Fiennes) who leads the Conclave to choose another leader after the Pope dies. Also starring Stanely Tucci (‘Devil Wears Prada’, ‘The Hunger Games’), this Vatican drama is set to be a thrilling one.

We Live in Time
Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield star in ‘We Live In Time’. Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals.

Official release date: 1 Jan 2025

This is a tearjerker that plays with time and never lets you forget what’s important: love, laughter, and the pursuit of living” (Mathew Creith, Matinee with Matt, Rotten Tomatoes)

Now, I’ve been hearing a lot about this one. This romantic drama starring Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield follows the story of two people who, brought together by surprise, instantly form an unbreakable bond. However, after the harsh reality of illness and mortality hits, their time together is limited. This film considers many themes, from memories to our experiences and how we live our lives, all told through John Crowley’s non-linear storytelling. You might need your tissues for this one.

Joy’

Official release date: 15 Nov 2024

“This is a far too little-known story of British Scientific achievement” (Ben Taylor, Variety)

Directed by Ben Taylor (‘Sex Education’), this film tells the true story of Jean Purdy, Robert Edwards and Patrick Steptoe who were responsible for the development of in vitro fertilisation (IVF). Set in the years 1968-1978, ‘Joy’ shows three individuals who took this step whilst facing endless societal hate and resentment from the Church, political establishment and the medical field itself. 

The Ballad of Suzanne Césaire

Official release date: 17 Oct 2024

“We’re making a film about an artist who didn’t want to be remembered’ (Director Madeleine Hunt-Ehrlich, BFI)

This film is driven by the writings of Césaire who was overshadowed by her husband, Aime Césaire, a poet and politician. In this slow moving ballad all shot on 16 mm, this film attempts to restore her legacy as a pioneer of Afro-Caribbean surrealism. Within the film, an actress explores the legacy of Césaire, reading through her archives as she prepares to perform Suzanne’s work.

Anora

Official release date: 1 Nov 2024

“Anora barely ever loses its humour, something that might surprise viewers expecting a more gritty or depressing watch.” (Maddy Mussen, London Evening Standard, Rotten Tomatoes)

From what has been described as a modern variation of the Cinderella story, Ani, a sex worker from Brooklyn meets Vanya, the son of a Russian billionaire and impulsively marries him. However, the film takes a chaotic turn when Vanya’s parents find out about their marriage and hunt the streets of New York to stop it.

That Christmas
Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals.

Official release date: 4 Dec 2024

“Regardless of whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I hope that audiences will laugh at the family dynamics..” (Simon Otto, Netflix)

Of course there had to be a Christmas film premiered at this year’s LFF and this sounds like a fun one! Directed by Simon Otto and written by Richard Curtis, it is set in a small town on the Suffolk coast. The many tales told within the film aim to remind viewers of the joys of Christmas – and its complexities too…

‘Hard Truths’

Official release date: 31 Jan 2025

“Marianne Jean-Baptiste is exceptional as a woman in the terrifying endgame of depression in this deeply sober and compassionate drama, not without flashes of fun.” (Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian)

This film centres around the character of Pansy (Marianne Jean-Baptiste), who gets irritated by pretty much everything around her. Her anger puts strain on her loved ones, especially her husband and son who end up ignoring her irritations. Director Mike Leigh’s attention to detail brings Pansy to life, allowing viewers to witness the complex nature of her character.

So… the film you want to see is sold out. What now?

Although some of the films in our list are still available for ticket purchase, a few of them are sold out. However, tickets can become available every morning from 10 a.m. via the BFI website. Additionally, extra tickets for many of the films are to be released on Friday (18 Oct) at 10 a.m. so there’s still a chance you can see your favourite film from the list! Even better, there are £5 tickets available for 16-25 year olds for both films and screen talks. This means there’s still time to take full advantage of the BFI London Film Festival. Finally, even if you can’t see any of the films above keep an eye out for their official releases. Happy viewing!

Guest Writer Ved Shivakumar reminds us to stay attentive to the conflict in Western Sahara and what we can do to alleviate the suffering...

Staff Writer Vir Kanwar explores the controversy around UFC and the payment of its fighters While top-ranked fighters who headline main events can earn...

Staff Writer Ewan White looks back to a different era of King’s College London (KCL) through an enlightening interview with his grandfather. If you...

Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield star in We Live In Time. Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals. Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield star in We Live In Time. Image courtesy of Temi Adio, BFI Festivals.

Culture Editor Alicia Khan gives a breakdown of some of the most exciting films at the BFI London Film Festival as well as tips...

Guest Writer Finlay Baker looks back on his visit to Lviv, Ukraine over the summer, examining the resilience of Lviv amidst Russia’s escalating attacks....

Students

On Monday 7 October, a crowd of students gathered in Bush House Lecture Theatre 1 to listen to the King’s College London (KCL) Politics...

Staff Writer Angelika Etherington-Smith denounces the failure of the movie ‘It Ends With Us’ to give sufficient attention to gender-based violence — both in...

Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Benjamin Evans, attended the London Young Greens 2024/25 Launch to learn more about the movement and where it may be heading over...