‘Swinging and Singing’: KCL JazzSoc’s Free End of Semester Concert On 10 April

Photo by Emma Carmichael

KCL Jazz Society will host a free end-of-semester concert – ‘Swinging and Singing’ – on Wednesday 10 April, from 16:00 until 18:00 in the Greenwood Theatre.

The concert will be the Jazz Society’s final concert of the year, following their ‘Feliz NaviJazz’ Christmas offering in December. It will feature KCL’s Jazz Orchestra and Jazz Chorus, directed by Chris Trotter and Julia Curry, respectively.

The concert’s programme features a wide range of jazz music, with a particular focus on swing in addition to several jazz standard big band favourites.

Looking back on the year, Curry told Roar: “Leading the Jazz Chorus this year has been very rewarding and good fun, if a little stressful at points.

“I’m very proud to see everyone’s hard work coming together, and most of all I hope everyone in the group has enjoyed themselves along the way.”

Curry also noted that the Jazz Chorus will be singing both their own repertoire as well as collaborating with the Jazz Orchestra – a first for the choir. She continued, “we have a lot more planned for next year, too, so stay tuned!”.

Speaking to Roar, Thomas Walker, President of KCL Jazz Society said: “This is the last concert this year for both our Jazz Orchestra and our Jazz Chorus both of whom have worked really hard with Chris and Julia respectively to put together two great sets (and potentially a collaboration) that I’m sure the audience will really enjoy.

“The Big Band have had their moment in the spotlight with our very successful Valentines Ball and Roaring 20s Nights and the Strand Sessions Jam’s have really brought out a crowd at The Vault most Mondays.”

Walker noted that the Greenwood Theatre is a venue in which the Jazz Society has “never performed”. He said, “it will be a great change of atmosphere and hopefully add to the overall experience for the audience”.

Walker concluded: “The event is free for everyone to attend – whether you are at King’s or not, we really want to encourage as many people to come along and support the players and see all the work they have put in this semester.”

Both the Jazz Orchestra and the Jazz Chorus are free to join and not auditioned, though the prestigious King’s Big Band is selected from the Jazz Orchestra’s best players.

For announcements about concerts and events, see KCL Jazz Society’s Instagram.

Music Festival Stage and Crowd

On 13 May, a student-led coalition of multiple London universities launched pro-Palestine encampments at King’s College London (KCL). Protestors intend to occupy the university...

Scammers claiming to be members of staff at King’s College London (KCL) have targeted students at the university. On 9 May, King’s sent an...

Staff writer Alex Astley discusses the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza, advocating for stronger social cohesion in solidarity for victims of the war. Pro-Palestine, pro-Israel,...

Roar can reveal that King’s College London (KCL) has spent £48,401.27 promoting the use of the ‘King’s Student’ app since its launch in autumn...

On Thursday 2 May, King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU) staff were internally informed that three elected student representatives were being reinstated. “I write...