Returning King’s Students Find Much-Loved Tesco Closed Until Mid-February

Tesco closure image

The popular Tesco Express by the Strand campus has been shut until Friday 16 February for store improvements.

While the renovations began over the winter break, King’s College London (KCL) students will only really feel the impact of the closure from this week, as classes return to full scheduling.

Like the hallways of the campus itself, during the working week the Tesco Express is often overwhelmed with busy King’s students. The tiny store is usually particuarly frantic from 10 minutes to the hour until 10 minutes past, as students on their way to and from classes grab a bite to eat.

News of the closure, while a heavy blow to Tesco regulars, will bring some January cheer to other local businesses. Alternative vendors that may interest students include:

• King’s Kitchen – the underground dining room of Bush House, open for lunch from 11:45-14:30
  • Chapters – a cafe-style alternative situated on the first floor of the Strand campus
  • Roots Cafe – King’s own vegan lunch spot is situated on the top floor of Bush House (although students may want to wait until summer to take their meals on the outside balcony)
  • The Shack – slightly pricier than the other campus venues, the student union’s coffee shop offers hot and cold sandwiches, sushi and posh microwave meals
  • Greggs – hot drinks and baked goods only a few steps from the now-closed Tesco, although the queue is often well out of the door around the hour
  • Leon – for those who fancy something more up-market, this posh fast food chain offers quick hot food to takeaway
  • Meal Deals – simply missing your usual sandwich, drink and snack combo? While not quite as convenient as the out-of-commission Tesco, Sainsbury’s have a shop down by Charing Cross Station and the Co-op have one up on the Kingsway.
  • Seven Dials market – if you simply can’t decide what you want to eat, Seven Dials has a great indoor market with a whole range of cuisines from across the world. While a 15-minute walk away, the ‘Curry on Naanstop’ paneer wrap is, in the opinion of this author, well worth it. (Email open for sponsorship offers.)