King’s College Lunchless: Tesco Re-Opening Delayed Again

Closed Tesco store

Roar can reveal that the shop on the Strand-Waterloo Bridge junction is now scheduled to re-open on Friday 12 April, although Tesco have warned that this is still “subject to change”.

The store, popular with King’s College London (KCL) students, originally shut its doors over the Christmas break, with the anticipated re-opening date of Friday 16 February. The shop was then gutted, with a full redevelopment of the layout planned.

However, the closure period was subsequently extended to Friday 8 March, with notice given on a sign just inside the building site. This date was then passed with no re-opening or even a visible sign of work nearing completion.

Friday 16 February is still the date officially listed on the Tesco website.

After multiple attempts to find an answer, on 14 March, Tesco informed Roar that the intended re-opening date had been moved to Friday 12 April. However, they cautioned that this was still uncertain, reporting that “we do not have a date that is set in stone”.

One student stated that the extended closure had left them “heart-broken and hungry”.

Disappointed student Ansel Bayly said: “With price rises in The Vault and Dover Castle, this delay is just the latest in a series of setbacks for the KCL student community. For many, a Tesco meal deal was the one constant in a world in turmoil. I am devastated by its loss.”

An April re-opening means that KCL students on the Strand campus will have gone an entire semester without access to their closest ‘Meal Deal’ and/or ‘sweet treat’ location. Should this date be pushed back by a further six weeks, the entire exam period may be similarly devoid of access.

King’s students can find food on and near campus in alternative locations, including KCL canteens, Students’ Union cafes and Roar meetings held at 12pm on Tuesdays.

Chairman Lord Geidt was found to have broken lobbying rules following an investigation by the House of Lords Commissioners for Standards. The chairman of...