BREAKING: Counter-protesters Demonstrate During Pro-Palestinian Walkout on 7 October

Pro-Palestinian protesters and pro-Israel counter-protesters outside Strand campus on 7 October at around 12:45pm. Images courtesy to Sophia Chan and Matthew Pellow.

Jewish and pro-Israel students from King’s College London (KCL) staged a counter-protest during a pro-Palestinian walkout, taking place outside Strand campus on 7 October 2024 after 12:30 pm.

There was tension between the two groups with shouts and insults coming from both sides, but no physical violence. Members of security stood between the protesters. 

The pro-Palestine walkout, organised by KCL Students for Justice for Palestine (KCL SJP) and UCL Stands For Justice among other organisations, gathered over 100 supporters. Counter-protesters numbered around a dozen. 

Today, 7 October, marks one year since a Hamas-led attack on Israeli territory, during which some 1,200 were killed and 250 hostages were taken to Gaza, according to Israeli figures. The attacks by Hamas triggered a war with Israel, in which over 41,000 Palestinians have been killed, including almost 11,300 children, according to the Hamas-run Ministry of Health.

The chosen date for the walkout sparked varying responses from the student community. According to an Instagram post by KCL SJP announcing the walk-out and rally, the date of 7 October was chosen to “mark one year of a genocide”. Many Jewish and pro-Israel students, on the other hand, felt the chosen date was an attempt at provocation. Miles Isaacs, President of KCL Jewish Society, said, “They know what today is, they know what happened today last year.”

Ilan Fellous, a Physics student at King’s who is also Jewish, joined the pro-Israel demonstration despite not being “particularly close to the cause.”

“I believe they [the pro-Palestine side] have the freedom to protest… I just find it very disrespectful that they’re doing it on 7 October.”

A spokesperson for KCL SJP said: “The walk out had to be today because for over a year, we have been told that October 7th justifies everything… The truth is that October 7th did change everything, because it showed all of us just how little they worth Palestinian life.” They continued, “We gather today to mourn the loss of our own KcL alumni, to honour all the lives which have been lost in Gaza, the West Bank, and now in Lebanon too.”

Despite the controversy relating to the date, the walkout garnered the support of many students. One protester told Roar, “Today is October 7th and after the deadly massacre [of Israeli citizens], began an onslaught in Gaza and so after a year of genocide, we’re showing support and we say ceasefire now.”

According to Isaacs, however, today’s walkout caused distress to Jewish students and raised questions about campus safety. At the beginning of this year, Roar published Muslim and Jewish students’ perspectives of life on campus after the Israel-Hamas war started.

A ‘Vigil for Peace’ was also held from 12:10 in the Safra Lecture theatre. Hosted by King’s Chaplaincy – a multi-faith organisation offering support for King’s students – the vigil’s aim was “to remember those who have died in Israel and Gaza and in all places of warfare”. The event was attended by around 30 students, many of whom could be seen at the counter-protest.

Editor’s note: This article was updated at 18:48 to include a comment by KCL SJP.

Taylor Swift poses in front of a gauzy purple and orange fan at the beginning of her 'Eras Tour.'

Music

Staff Writers Evelyn Shepphird and Alicia Khan interpret the mythology of Taylor Swift within the Eras Tour and explain her immense success through her...

Image showing the KCL Politics Event on 3 October 2024. Image showing the KCL Politics Event on 3 October 2024.

On 3 October, London Student Network (LSN) hosted their first panel event, ‘Your Vote, Your Voice’ on young people’s democratic participation, in collaboration with...

Actor model of science communication by Carsten Könneker (first published in 2016) Actor model of science communication by Carsten Könneker (first published in 2016)

Science Editor Jana Bazeed dissects the current science communication landscape. Chances are you have come across popular science—PopSci for short—of some shape or form...

Jewish and pro-Israel students from King’s College London (KCL) staged a counter-protest during a pro-Palestinian walkout, taking place outside Strand campus on 7 October...

Image of the side of the St. Mary le Strand — a centuries-old church next to KCL. The church is built in a classic 18th century style. Image of the side of the St. Mary le Strand — a centuries-old church next to KCL. The church is built in a classic 18th century style.

Students

Staff writer Charlotte Galea steps into St Mary le Strand to hear the story of its captivating past and present, as told by Father...

Music

Students

Editor-in-Chief Nia Simeonova presents rigorous qualitative research performed among Roar News team members: these five were found to be the hidden gems of King’s...

Staff Writer Mohana Miltra examines the recent TV adaptation of “Fellow Travelers” and considers its ability to resonate with today’s audiences. From political scandals...