KCLSU 2023 Awards Nominees: Meet King’s Shakespeare Company

King's Shakespeare Company. Photo by Roar photographer Elizabeth Grace.

Staff writer Emma Fallside profiles the student society King’s Shakespeare Company (KSC) after their nomination in the 2023 KCLSU Awards.

The King’s Shakespeare Company (KSC) has been nominated for three society awards: Group of the Year, Event of the Year, and Most Improved Group. Additionally, Society President Jasmine Newton-Rae has been nominated for Best President, and Mya Kelln has been nominated for a Laurel.

The society has had engaging year, with an active committee who have worked hard to foster a theatre community at King’s. KSC has run two different productions over the course of the academic year- The Twelfth Night and Cymbeline- and their third and final production of Richard III will be running from June 9-11. Tickets for the show can be found here.

Roar’s theatre critics were overwhelmingly impressed with the society’s performances this year. Sophie Jacob’s review of Cymbeline praises the adaptation’s “creativity and talent” in her article, and Meghana Praveen praised the Twelfth Night’s use of aestheticism and mood. Read her full review here.

Actors in a production of the play Cymbeline.
Eliza Cameron as Imogen and Lani Perry as Pisania. Photo courtesy of Roar photographer Elizabeth Grace

Apart from their impressive productions, KSC has organised movie nights, pub socials, and theatre trips for their members. They also spearheaded a Theatre Society Ball, taking place on June 3rd for theatre enthusiasts across the university.

Beyond social events, KSC has worked hard this year to provide opportunities for members to further their interest in theatre outside of King’s. KSC told Roar that: “We have also set up working partnerships with the Arts Council, the RSC and have a list of contacts within the industry who are actively interested in our work, therefore helping the people within our society get their attention in order to further their careers.”

Ahead of the KCLSU Awards on Tuesday, KSC states that: “we are absolutely honoured that our members have nominated us for this award. Those who were here last year know that our society was barely there, we had no socials, never met the committee, and the only thing we did was put on two mainstage productions. This year we have strived to create a community and I believe we have managed that.”

Keep up with Roar’s coverage of the 2023 KCLSU Awards on our Instagram and Twitter on Tuesday 30 May from 6:00pm.

Jacob Anderson speaking at the 2019 San Diego Comic Con International, for "Game of Thrones", at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California. Jacob Anderson is a lead in Interview with a Vampire.

Staff Writer Mohana Mitra examines the successes and unanswered questions of ‘Interview with a Vampire’ Part II. (This article contains spoilers) Immortality beats a...

Staff Writer Anwesh Banerjee reviews King’s Musical Theatre Society’s ‘Legally Blonde,’ which played at the Greenwood Theatre from 25 to 27 April 2024. When...