BREAKING: Tube Strikes Cancelled for Wednesday 4th and Friday 6th

Tube speeding out of a station.
Tube train passing station with motion blur as passengers wait in the United Kingdom. Original public domain image from Wikimedia Commons

The National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) have called off this week’s strike dates, not even 12 hours before they were set to begin.

Strike action has been suspended following “significant progress made by RMT negotiators and London Underground Limited (LUL) representatives”. The Tube strike had been announced in a dispute over safety concerns and job losses. National Rail strikes will still be going ahead, affecting 16 train companies across the country.

Around 3,000 members were set to strike on Wednesday and Friday of this week. The RMT entered talks with Acas, a conciliation service, who announced that they have managed to save jobs and prevent detrimental changes around earnings.

RMT general secretary, Mick Lynch, said:

“I congratulate all our members who were prepared to take strike action and our negotiations team for securing this victory in our tube dispute. Without the unity and industrial power of our members, there is no way we would have been able to make the progress we have. We still remain in dispute over outstanding issues around pensions and working agreements and will continue to pursue a negotiated settlement.”

Taken from rmt.org.uk

London Underground’s director of customer operations, Nick Dent, said:

“We are pleased that the RMT has withdrawn its planned industrial action this week and that the dispute on our change proposals in stations is now resolved. This is good news for London and we will continue to work closely with our trade unions as we evolve London Underground to ensure we can continue to support the capital in the most effective way.”

Taken from rmt.org.uk

To read more about student life in London, click here.

On 25 April, students from King’s for Change, a member group of grassroots campaign organisation Citizens UK, ushered in over 2,000 civilian attendees to...