King’s College London wins London Varsity Series 2022

London Varsity 2022

For the first time in up to 7 years, London is red, with King’s College London (KCL) defeating University College London (UCL) in the 2022 London Varsity Series!

King’s came into this London Varsity Series once again as underdogs as the pressure of history was against us. Despite this, our sports teams were unwavering under pressure and in a frantic fashion secured a last-day victory.

In recent years, Varsity has been a struggle for King’s, consistently behind the curb and had to try and chase UCL down. This year, however, it was UCLs turn to chase us. After taking an early and commanding lead through our swimming and athletics teams, King’s never looked back. Across all the events, hockey may have been the most crucial, with King’s picking up three of the four available points on offer from both KCL and GKT hockey. Even as UCL drew close to our lead on the Monday evening of a condensed 5-day London Varsity Series, our KCL women’s football team were more than enough to take us over the line with a crushing 4-0 victory, securing the 15 points required for King’s to take back the Varsity trophy from UCL.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbZqvL8AeQ4/

Victories came from sports teams right across the board including: athletics, swimming, women’s rugby, pole fitness, GKT women’s hockey, GKT men’s hockey, men’s lacrosse, women’s lacrosse, women’s hockey, badminton, GKT netball, men’s basketball, GKT women’s football, GKT men’s football, and women’s football!

Our female sports teams did incredibly well this year and are one of the main reasons King’s managed to take home the trophy this year. Where fixtures are counted individually as opposed to collectively there were only three losses across the board for our women’s sports teams.

After such a poor run of form across the London Varsity Series in years past, 2022 will go down as a special moment for all those involved and for every student at King’s. Sport is first and foremost about taking part, the team sport spirit, and the love of the game you play. But when you win, there is little that is greater than that feeling of jubilation.

Until next time – LONDON. IS. RED.