Two injured in train derailment at Enfield Town station

Image by Sunil060902 at Wikimedia Commons. It is licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. The image has been cropped.

On Tuesday, October 12, the derailment of a passenger train at Enfield Town Overground station injured two people.

According to a statement from the London Fire Brigade (LFB), the train “derailed after hitting buffers at the station”. In response to the derailment, Transport for London and station staff evacuated around fifty people from the train.

The LFB’s statement also confirmed that the London Ambulance Service (LAS) treated the two injured people for their injuries. A separate statement on Twitter from the LAS clarified that these injuries did not result in hospitalisation.

A recent report on Rail Safety statistics from the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) showed that: “there were 10 passenger fatalities in 2020-21”. According to this report, another passenger train derailment at Carmont in August 2020 caused one of these fatalities.

The statistics presented in the ORR report showed a reduction from the 13 passenger fatalities seen in 2019-2020. However, the pandemic is likely to have been responsible in part for this decrease. According to the report: “rail safety in 2020-21 was affected by the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, with passenger services significantly reduced and new safety measures introduced”. Regardless, the report also shows that “passenger fatalities have fallen over the last two years”.

National Rail tweeted that London Overground trains are once again running between London Liverpool Street and Enfield Town on October 13.

This derailment was the first rail accident to occur in London this year. It was also the second rail accident in the United Kingdom this year.

Former Culture Editor for Roar News.

Mayor Sadiq Khan at Accountability Assembly

On 25 April, students from King’s for Change, a member group of grassroots campaign organisation Citizens UK, ushered in over 2,000 civilian attendees to...

Photography Lead Emma Carmichael captures the life and soul of Exmouth Market – a hidden jewel in the London borough of Islington. I could...