Interview with Essex-based Country Artist Adam Brucass (Part 1)

Interview: Essex-based Country Artist Adam Brucass

Roar writer Ryan Lam interviews Essex-based country artist Adam Brucass about his musical journey, inspirations and country music in the UK.

Forget about banjos, guitars and fiddles – contemporary developments in country music are increasingly diverse, including various fusions of pop, rocks and soul. While the music scene is traditionally centred around Nashville, country is gaining momentum across the pond in the UK. This should come with no surprise – after all, the rise of streaming platforms like Spotify and the success of TV dramas like “Nashville” made country music more accessible around the world.

Hailing from Southend, Essex, I spoke with country singer and songwriter, Adam Brucass, about his musical journey, vision and inspirations. Adam’s country profile started from his first solo single, “Forever“, which debuted on BBC Radio Essex this year. Intertwining country music with pop, guitar riffs and 80s rock vocals, I was particularly interested in Adam’s musical journey and inspirations.

Roar: Could you tell our audience a little bit about your upbringing, how did you get into the country music scene?

Adam: I grew up in a small town called Hockley, here in Essex. I didn’t really get into music until my early teens, but I was always exposed to a lot of classic rock through my dad growing up. I have a lot of memories of Planet Rock playing on a Sunday afternoon, so I think that’s what initially brought me into the music scene. The first genre I really got into was 80s hair metal, bands like Motley Crue, Skid Row, Whitesnake, Cinderella, and I always saw this ‘distant cousin’ connection between hair metal and country – the leather jackets, cowboy boots and hats, a lot of similar subject matter in the lyrics. All these big 80s bands could whip out an acoustic and bring down the house, and I always just thought there was definitely a link there, but I still never had much exposure to the country scene except the odd Eagles record now and then, or Skynyrd.

I started singing in bands when I was about fifteen, and it didn’t take long for me to get a taste for it. I loved the feeling of being in front of a mic and being on stage, it’s a feeling of fulfilment I can’t get anywhere else, so I’ve spent about ten years playing in rock bands. It wasn’t until recently that I got fed up with trying to make democracy work in a band, and just decided I’d be better off doing my own thing and bringing in other musicians when I need them.

I didn’t really get into country music until a lot of the artists that I liked in the rock and metal scene started to cross over in recent years. Justin Moore’s cover of “Home Sweet Home” by Motley Crue, Steven Tyler’s solo country album [“We’re all Somebody from Somewhere”], all this stuff that suddenly was jumping right in my eye line and I loved it. Then the YouTube suggestions started leading me to Zac Brown and Luke Combs, Darius Rucker, and so forth, and here we are. I think I’ve always had a soft spot for it, and finally I just took the plunge and I’m really enjoying it a lot more, it’s all a lot easier to sing as well.

R: Who is your all-time favourite musician? How have they inspired your musical career?

A: I make no effort to hide the fact, and anyone who knows me knows that I’m a Bon Jovi Fangirl Number One. It’s something that I don’t think many people really understand about me – it’s not just that I love the music or I’m obsessed with them. Jon has been my mentor for longer than I care to mention, he’s everything to me that Springsteen and Dylan were to him. I studied his vocal techniques for years: the way he controls his audience and works the stage, the way he writes songs, and his work ethic is just unreal. I really admire him, but most importantly, I’ve learnt to be my own person from him. I actually turned down an offer recently to join one of the UK’s biggest Bon Jovi tribute bands, and if it sounded crazy to anyone that knew me, they didn’t know me well enough to realise the most important thing I’ve learnt from him is I don’t want to be the next Jon Bon Jovi, I would much rather be the first Adam Brucass, and I just don’t think that would happen if I was playing his songs full-time and to his fans.

Their 2007 Country album, “Lost Highway,” also had a huge impact on my interest in the country genre. As far as I know, it wasn’t very popular to rock fans or country fans, but I think most of them just jumped on the bandwagon, and it’s actually a great album.

R: In comparison with the country music industry in America, what do you make of UK’s growing country music scene?

A: I wish it was bigger! I love the culture that belongs to it, I wish there were more country bars around and more places I could just go and meet like-minded people who are into all the same stuff that I am. Luke Combs brings out a new single and I’ve got nobody to talk to about it, or I walk into a bar with my hat and boots on and get all kinds of weird looks. I also really wish there were more country musicians around that weren’t already in established bands. It’s been so hard to find people to work with, and I usually end up outsourcing to session guys online when it comes to recording, but it would be great to meet more country musicians.

On the whole, I think it’s great that more UK artists are being recognised, I just wish it could be easier to get the attention of places like Nashville and US-based record labels without actually being there, and hitting that dreaded hurdle of “no unsolicited material” when you’re trying to reach out, especially when you know that if they could just take a moment to listen, they would probably really like it.

Adam’s new single “That Guy” is available to pre-save and pre-order on all major streaming platforms ahead of its release on 29th November 2021.

Culture Writer

Staff Writer Anoushka Singh analyses Taylor Swift’s rise to money, fame and stardom commenting on her now global impact. Taylor Swift recently went on...