Updated Timeline (28/10) on U.S. Presidential Impeachment Inquiry

U.S. incumbent President Donald J. Trump is currently in the midst of a congressional impeachment inquiry for his alleged wrongdoing during a July 2019 phone call to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelinsky. A whistleblower has asserted Trump illegally pressured Zelinsky to investigate former Vice President and current 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden, as well as his son Hunter, regarding their business dealings in Ukraine. This has prompted Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives to open an impeachment investigation. Only two U.S. Presidents, Andrew Johnson (1868) and Bill Clinton (1998), have ever been impeached by Congress, although both were later acquitted in the Senate.

The following timeline will provide a comprehensive insight into the key people and events involved in this ongoing incident:

February, 2014
Vice President Joe Biden is named by the Obama administration as the top official on Ukraine following the annexation of the Crimean peninsula (February – March, 2014) by the Russian Federation.

-April, 2014
Hunter Biden, the son of Vice President Biden, joins the board of a leading Ukrainian oil and natural gas company, Burisma Holdings. The company’s co-founder Mykola Zlochevsky was later investigated by British authorities for corruption.

-March, 2016
Vice President Biden pressures former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko to fire then Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin by threatening to withhold U.S. loans. This was later admitted to by Biden during an event hosted by the Council on Foreign Relations on 23 January, 2018. Biden stated: “I said, I’m telling you, you’re not getting the billion dollars. I said, you’re not getting the billion.” Before he was fired, Shokin was in the process of investigating Burisma Holdings, again the employer of Biden’s son Hunter, for corruption.

-Wednesday 12 June, 2019
President Trump has an exclusive interview with ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos in the Oval Office. The president remarked that if a foreign government were to offer him information against one of his opponents in the 2020 presidential election he would accept it rather than first contact the FBI.  Trump said: “I think you might want to listen, there isn’t anything wrong with listening.”

Thursday 25 July, 2019
President Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky have their infamous phone conversation. A transcript of the conversation released on 25 September, 2019 would reveal quotes from Trump such as:

“The other thing, here’s a lot of talk about Biden’s son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great. Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it… It sounds horrible to me.”

Monday 12 August, 2019
An unidentified whistleblower from the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) files a formal complaint with the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community Michael Atkinson.

-Monday 26 August, 2019
Inspector General Atkinson alerts acting Director of the National Intelligence (DNI) Joseph Maguire of the complaint.

-Monday 9 September, 2019
Inspector General Atkinson himself alerts the House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff (CA-28-D) of the whistleblower’s complaint after it was overruled by Maguire.

Wednesday 11 September, 2019
$391 million in military aid and security assistance to Ukraine is finally released after allegedly being withheld by the Trump administration to extract dirt from the Ukrainians on Biden.

-Friday 13 September, 2019
House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff subpoena’s Maguire to appear before the House Intelligence Committee.

-Sunday 22 September, 2019
Trump acknowledges that he spoke with the Ukrainian President Zelinsky regarding Joe Biden although he denies that any withholding of military aid to Ukraine corresponded to the Ukrainian government’s investigation into the Biden family.

-Tuesday 24 September, 2019
Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi announces six committees in Congress will launch a formal impeachment inquiry into President Trump for his alleged misuse of power in seeking aid from Ukraine to help him find damaging evidence against his political opponent, 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden.

-Thursday 26 September, 2019
Acting Director Maguire testifies in an open session before the House Intelligence Committee. Additionally, the whistleblower’s complaint becomes declassified and released to the public.

-Saturday 5 October, 2019
A second whistleblower comes forward with “first-hand knowledge of allegations” of Trump’s misconduct.

-Tuesday 8 October, 2019
In a letter from the White House Counsel’s office to Speaker Nancy Pelosi the White House states that it will no longer cooperate in the impeachment investigation. Among others, Vice President Mike Pence and Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani declined to provide documents to subpoena requests.

-Friday 11 October, 2019
Former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch has closed-door depositions before Congress.

-Thursday 17 October, 2019
U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland, referenced in the whistleblower’s complaint, testifies before Congress.

-Sunday 21 October, 2019
Among his many controversial social media posts regarding the impeachment inquiry, @realDonaldTrump stated the following on his Twitter:

“This Scam going on right now by the Democrats against the Republican Party, and me, was all about a perfect phone call I had with the Ukrainian President. He’s already stated, NO PRESSURE! Where is the Whistleblower, or the 2nd Whistleblower, or the “informant?” All gone…..”

-Tuesday 22 October, 2019
U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Bill Taylor testifies before Congress discussing whether or not “quid pro quo” existed between Trump and Ukraine officials.

-Wednesday 23 October, 2019
Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Russia, Ukraine and Eurasia Laura Cooper provided a closed-door deposition in Congress, describing the procedure for transferring military aid to Ukraine.  The deposition was delayed approximately five hours on the part of House Republicans who refused to leave the hearing in protest of the impeachment inquiry.

Numerous other officials who have not been referenced specifically in this timeline too have played a significant role in the inquiry. The outcome of this investigation will certainly have far reaching impacts, including on the numerous American students currently attending King’s College London. According to the university’s website: “There are currently over 1,100 students from the US studying on undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, as well as study abroad and exchange experiences.”

The KCL Canadian and American Society has not yet responded for comment.

Sonia Schmidt, an American student from Vienna, Virginia attending King’s this semester as an international exchange student shared: “I have no doubt that this is a valid impeachment inquiry…I understand that some people are concerned that this may not be an impeachable offense, even if it is an immoral one, and I suppose that is why we have hearings to figure it out.”

Matthew Carusi, an American student from Palo Alto, California also attending King’s this semester as an international exchange student said: “I do believe that Trump should be impeached…we cannot allow foreign governments no matter who they are to interfere in our elections.”

Roar News will continue to provide updates and fact checks as more information becomes publicly available.

Staff Writer Leah Napier-Raikes argues that the death of Aaron Bushnell is the product of the increasingly apparent distance between the American people and...

Staff Writer Joel Nugent discusses the upcoming EU Parliamentary elections and what may happen if the surging hard right performs well. 2024 will see...

Staff Writer Guillaume Antignac recounts his recent trip to Cuba, the island’s struggles, and the role its powerful neighbour, the US, has had in...