Marking boycott postponed until May 6 after 2% pay rise offer

By Dulcie Lee and James Leeman.

THE assessment boycott has been postponed until May 6 after lecturers were offered a 2% pay rise from the Universities and Colleges Employers Association (UCEA).

The boycott, which could leave hundreds of King’s students’ work unmarked, was moved so that members of the University and College Union (UCU) could vote on the offer.

The action was originally planned to start on April 28, after lecturers were only offered a 1% pay rise last year.

Although the boycott has been postponed, students’ work could remain unmarked and third year students could potentially graduate late if members vote against the pay offer.

The boycott could involve UCU member lecturers refusing to mark work for an indefinite period until an improved pay deal is offered.

The outcome of the ballot, which closes on May 1, will be put to the employer body at a meeting on May 2.

King’s told Roar! this morning that they couldn’t comment on whether they would pay their lecturers during the strike, as some universities are not doing so due to ongoing negotiations.

This comes after the UCU argued for a better pay offer than last year, after their members consistently received pay offers below the rising cost of living.

This real-terms cut in their wages has meant that since 2009, UCU members’ pay has effectively been cut by between 13 and 15%.

Along with many students, King’s’ students’ union KCLSU are supporting the lecturers while wishing for a settlement before the boycott is due to take place.

KCLSU decided to back the cause after a supporting motion passed at the Student General Meeting last month.

King’s College London are yet to comment on this afternoon’s development.