LONDON VARSITY 2021 – Tuesday Preview (1 June)

Ultimate Frisbee

Varsity 2021 kicks off in the most Covid-restrictive way imaginable – in a famous London park where fans can gather awkwardly in their groups of thirty (or six, who honestly knows what the rules are now) to drink in the sport. Ultimate Frisbee is a perfect sport too to start the series, a niche and endlessly exciting one epitomising the diverse and enthralling nature of the series. The side have been organising weekly Saturday trainings, as well as various scrimmages (friendly games) with other London unis over the past month, including Imperial. However, they have kept their cards close to their chest in not playing Gower in a warm up, and are saving their best for their first competitive game of the year. They’ll be motivated to get revenge from last year when UCL ran out narrow winners. Either way, it’s a great way to kick off this year’s series.

Women’s Basketball

After an enthralling comeback in last year’s series with a stellar final-two-quarters performance, the Women’s Basketball team are looking to take home the points once again, but perhaps without the same levels of drama. Preparation has gone as well as possible for the 2021 series- having begun outdoor practice in April, indoor practice has now resumed after the 17 May lifting of restrictions, with gym sessions over zoom to bolster performance levels. A common theme in Varsity this year, neither the Lions nor Gower have had any games so far this year, meaning the rustiness handicap is levelled, as are the general stakes of motivation. However, rumour has it that Gower has yet to have any practices yet, and with a strong contingent of freshers coming through, it looks likely that King’s will once more dish out an emphatic win.

Men’s Basketball

The Men’s Basketball event was standout in the 2020 series, unfortunately not in a positive manner for us Strandies. KCL lost 69-70 to UCL at the absolute death, with the chance to tie the match at 70-70 in the last minute. Still reeling from the pain of this, the Lions are desperately seeking to avenge this, and have as good a chance as ever with the UCL side similarly rusty. Holding onto the lead when they pull ahead this year is also key- after going ahead 57-51 last year before seeing it slip, it will be as crucial as ever to maintain their performace levels for the full match. But with a speedy resumption to training during April and May, it’s likely they’ll have the edge on their UCL counterparts. Hopefully we make it 2 wins from 2 this year instead of sharing the spoils.

Netball (KCL)

Netball was unfortunately one of the most convincing wins for Gower in last year’s series, running out 53-24 victors over a valiant KCL showing, unable to really test a stellar UCL defence. This year could be different however- KCL have returned to training earlier than their counterparts, and have had a warm-up fixtures to boot. They kick off the netball action for the day on a parallel pitch to the basketball events, so they’ll be plenty of action and hope for King’s on the Tuesday.

Netball (GKT)

After being absent from the 2020 series, GKT vs RUMS Netball will return this year. Both sides have been hindered by a lack of fixtures, but both sides too have been back in training ready for the match-up. With a lack of form to base a prediction on, this match could be anything from a toss-up to a shellacking. Therefore, it could be one to keep an eye with King’s picking up a win out of nowhere, and hopefully they’re buoyed buy a win for KCL immediately before him.