Emmy-Nominated TV Show Filmed at King’s

Photo courtesy of Ewan White

In the afternoon of 17 October, an episode of an American TV show ‘Family Ingredients’ was filmed on King’s College London’s (KCL) Strand Quadrangle. The show will air on PBS.

The culinary and travel documentary delves into the history and traditions of Hawaii by exploring the stories behind the family recipe of a guest. Season three of the show, released in 2023, was nominated for a Daytime Emmy.

No area of the Quad was inaccessible during filming. Instead, the host of the show, chef Ed Kenney, walked up the courtyard in conversation with a Hawaiian student from the University of Exeter. Signage directed students to speak to the crew if they did not wish to end up in the program. The crew filmed several takes and continued working on campus until approximately 4 pm.

The episode filmed at KCL’s Strand Campus featured King’s alumnus Joseph A. Kamauoha, who was one of eighteen young Hawaiians handpicked by the King of Hawaii to participate in the Hawaiian Youths Abroad Program. The programme was designed to produce future Hawaiian leaders and lasted from 1880 to 1892.

KCL was not the only university to host students on the scheme, with Hawaiian students also studying in Italy, Scotland, China, Japan and the United States.

Kamauoha arrived at KCL in 1882, taking courses including chemistry, mathematics and divinity. He intended to be an engineer.

Unfortunately, Kamauoha’s health declined significantly during his studies at King’s. He died while on a restorative trip in Torquay in 1886.

In the afternoon of 17 October, an episode of an American TV show ‘Family Ingredients’ was filmed on King’s College London’s (KCL) Strand Quadrangle....

News Editor Ansel Bayly reviews the Labour Government’s first 100 days in office, arguing that the root causes of Labour’s challenging start can be...

Rum Jungle performing at London's Village Underground. Rum Jungle performing at London's Village Underground.

Music

Science Editor Jana Bazeed takes the readers ‘underground’ for a Rum Jungle concert with excellent supporting acts. On 25 September 2024, up-and-coming Australian indie...

Staff Writer Angelika Etherington-Smith examines Russia’s efforts to strengthen BRICS as a counterweight to Western influence, exploring the geopolitical implications of its expanding membership...

Students

The London School of Economics (LSE) Middle East Centre hosted a panel discussion entitled ‘Israel, Gaza and the Wider Regional Conflict: Assessing the Probability...

Staff writer Valeria Centola uncovers hidden study spots around London sharing some of her favourite finds ! In my first year, I struggled to...

News Editor Matthew Pellow speaks to Sam Dunning, Director of UK-China Transparency (UKCT), to discuss the burgeoning influence of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)...

Staff Writer Ewan White looks back to a different era of King’s College London (KCL) through an enlightening interview with his grandfather. If you...

Roar’s Staff Writers and Editors get together in a collaborative travel article to share their summer adventures and experiences. This article was first published...