UCU Raises Concerns about KCL Plans to ‘Mitigate’ Marking Boycott Impact

Members of the UCU are marching down a street in London. They are carrying placards and a large balloon with 'UCU' written on it floats above.
Source: Flickr, https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanh1/30376576713

King’s College London (KCL) has announced its plans to mitigate the damage of the ongoing marking and assessments boycott announced on 18th April.

The marking and assessments boycott (MAB) was announced earlier this term as a facet of the ongoing ‘action short of a strike’ (ASOS). Although the university insist that “in most cases, students will receive their exam and assessment results on time”, many have seen delays in the delivery of their grades.

However, the UCU alleges that marking will now be reassigned to members of staff who are not on strike, which raises concerns around the validity of grading. They also raise concerns about the use of only partial assessments to award marks, meaning assessments initially worth as low as 15% of a module grade may now be used to award overall marks. Even more worryingly, they raised the possibility of delays to graduation. KCL UCU issued this infographic, informing students on the present situation:

The UCU hosted a staff-student meeting in tandem with Liberate KCL, and are encouraging students to attend if they are concerned about the impact of the boycott. The university have not yet confirmed or denied these plans, instead listing their resolutions for the MAB on their website. These plans include the Assessment Board making awards for missed grading based upon their other grades for the module, and a ban on downgrading degree classifications. Information in further detail can be sourced from the university here.

For more about the UCU Industrial Action, click here.

Staff writer Anna Orwin Algeo speculates on the reasons behind Nigel Farage’s appearance on I’m a Celeb. If politics were a show, it would...

Protest outside Bush House Protest outside Bush House

This morning, a protest took place at King’s College London (KCL) calling for the reinstatement of three officers who have had a public dispute...

Staff writer Mila Stricevic investigates how Ollie Locke’s misogynistic comments revealed a darker side to assisted reproduction If you’ve ever listened to Jamie Laing’s...

KCL banner outside Strand campus KCL banner outside Strand campus

Professor Hanna Kienzler yesterday published an open letter to King’s Vice Chancellor Shitij Kapur. In it she called for stronger action from the university,...

Roar spoke with two representatives from the KCL 93% club and a history student to discuss what life is like as a working-class student...

On 23 November 2023, King’s College London (KCL) was visited by Antonio de Aguiar Patriota, Brazilian Ambassador to the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland....