BREAKING: First UCU Strike Set For 1 February

On Tuesday the University and College Union (UCU) announced that 150 universities would strike over pay, pensions and working conditions on 1 February. 

They announced the first date set for a round of 18 days of strikes across February and March.

150 universities will be affected, and UCU claims that 70,000 university staff members will walk out across the country. King’s College London voted to strike on both ballots- pay and work conditions and USS pensions- meaning that staff at the university will likely participate.

UCU said in their announcement that the 1 February strike will coincide with the Trades Union Congress (TUC)’s national ‘protect the right to strike day’. The day is aimed at protesting the government’s new anti-strike legislation, which just passed its second reading in parliament. If passed, the bill will allow employers to retain the right to fire employees if they refuse to comply with a work notice during a strike period.

So far the National Education Union (NEU), the Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (ASLEF), Public and Commercial Services (PCS) and the National Union of Rail Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) have confirmed that they will strike alongside UCU on 1 February.

Further dates for 17 more days of strikes will be announced in the coming weeks.

Read more about the UCU strikes and what they will mean for King’s students here.