Students’ Open Letter Calls On KCLSU To Take Stronger Action Against Spiking

Provided by Stop the Music

Stop the Music student campaign, KCL Amnesty International, and KCL Intersectional Feminist Society have released their open letter to the King’s College London Student Union, calling for the implementation of anti-spiking measures at KCLSU venues. Stop the Music has been campaigning for their policies since January 2022; this letter is a step up in escalation in a long process of negotiation with the student union. 

The letter is addressed to Chief Executive of KCLSU Denis Shakur, KCLSU President Mohd Yasir Khan, Vice President Welfare and Community Martina Chen, Vice President Education (Health) Julia Kosowska, Vice President Education (Arts and Sciences) Sara Osman Saeed, Vice President Postgraduate Shagun Bhandari, and Vice President Activities and Development Tejveer Nag.

The open letter cites Stop the Music’s campaign policy document (which can be read in full here and can be read in its abridged version here), outlining what specific policies the campaign has been pushing for. These include “the employment of experienced first-aid professionals at our student nightclub events”, “the establishment of a log-out system for incapacitated nightclub attendees”, and their flagship policy “to stop the music, turn on the lights, and announce suspected cases of spiking at our venues”.

The open letter is a public, formal request to KCLSU to implement the campaign’s policy agenda, which has been strongly supported by students. The published letter has been signed by 143 students at KCL, and at the time of writing the campaign has received the endorsement of 235 student societies.

The letter is detailed in full below. It can also be viewed as a PDF here.

Stop the Music can be contacted via instagram @stopthemusiccampaign

Roar contacted KCLSU to ask for a comment, at the time of publication we have not received a response.

Turnout-related drops in drink prices at the Vault and Guy’s Bar during the 2024 King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU’s) elections led to total...

News Editor Imogen Dixon reports on this year’s London Varsity rugby matches. The final fixtures of the 2024 Varsity season followed the confirmation of...