KCL students face industrial action on the second day of term

Two days ago, on the very first day of term, King’s announced that industrial action will be taking place yet again.

“We are sorry to inform you that strike action by the UNISON trade union will be taking place at King’s on Tuesday 27, Wednesday 28 and Thursday 29 September.” the college said.

UNISON is one of the three recognised trade unions at King’s and represents staff in the following areas: Administration, Catering, Cleaning, Estates, Finance, HR, KCLSU, King’s Sport, Libraries, Professional Services, Residences, Student casual staff, Student Services, Security.

UNISON’s current industrial action is the result of a pay dispute which, in the college’s words, ‘cannot be resolved locally by the university’.

‘Rates of pay in universities are negotiated annually through National Pay Bargaining, a process which King’s fully supports as it promotes fairness and equality across the sector’.

According to the university, students can expect ‘staff who strike outside our buildings on what is called a picket line where staff may ask if they can explain their dispute to you and hand out leaflets’. They enforced that students ‘should not feel intimidated about crossing a picket line’.

However, the college has reassured students that classes are expected to take place as usual, and that any university entrances and exits affected by striking will be clearly marked.

King’s additionally stated they are doing everything they can to keep campus facilities and services such as informal study spaces, libraries, and computer rooms available as usual. Nonetheless, students should check library webpages for opening times.

They went on to add: ‘We understand how frustrating strike action is for our students and for some of you this will be something that you may not have experienced before. We are focused on doing everything we can to minimise the impact on your experience and to ensure you continue to receive the best possible experience at King’s.’

Student services will also remain completely open. In-depth Q&As for students regarding industrial action are available on Student Services Online.

Students can also access unbiased and confidential academic advice support services via the Students’ Union advice webpage.

Mayor Sadiq Khan at Accountability Assembly

On 25 April, students from King’s for Change, a member group of grassroots campaign organisation Citizens UK, ushered in over 2,000 civilian attendees to...

Business

Staff Writer Alex Martin Astley argues Deliveroo workers in the UK have to work hard for measly pay, but states KCL students can help:...

From Sunday 7 to Friday 12 January 2024, the Transport for London (TfL) network will be running a reduced service due to strike action....

The University and College Union (UCU) has failed to meet the national threshold for industrial action in their most recent ballot – preventing its...

Staff Writers Sarah Stancombe and Sam Lord analyse and unpack the differing reactions to staff strikes in London and Melbourne. Despite similar hardships facing...