Spiking incident reported at Ministry of Sound

Ministry spiking
"Ministry of Sound 20:20 Exhibition" by Jamie Bellal is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Another spiking incident resulting in hospital admission was reported on 26 October at the popular London club, Ministry of Sound.

The attendee, who wishes to remain anonymous, said they were visiting for a friend’s 18th Birthday on the night of the incident, and were already “cautious” due to the recent spiking uptick in London. 

They reported being admitted to St Thomas’ hospital, and recalled that “it was really scary. I was lucky enough to have my boyfriend and friends with me, yet I was still terrified. I worry for people who have to experience it alone.”

The source advised students to “make sure you are with your friends, and be cautious of who is around you” but also suggested that more could be done to prevent these situations from happening, including “potentially more body searches before entering clubs.”

Students across London have been boycotting nightclubs as part of a nationwide “Girls Night In” campaign. The aim is that, as a result of the boycotts, nightclubs across the UK will take further precautions within their premises to prevent spikings.

A spokesperson from Ministry of Sound said that the club “remains vigilant to all threats affecting the safety and wellbeing of its customers.”

“We always have accredited medical staff on site working from a purpose built, fully equipped medical room and every member of our onsite team is trained to identify and report intoxication (whether by alcohol or drugs) and to respond appropriately to any instances of harassment.”

Ministry of Sound is also a part of the “Ask for Angela” programme, where people who feel unsafe in a venue can seek help and assistance without the need to directly talk about their situation in public. Staff are aware of this code-phrase and are reportedly equipped and trained to deal with these kinds of situations. 

Health Support:

King’s Health Centre

The Havens – (Urgent: 020 3299 6900; non-urgent: 20 3299 1599)

TRUE VISION – https://www.report-it.org.uk

Helplines:

Rape Crisis: 0808 802 9999 (For female survivors aged 14+)

Victim Support: 0808 16 89 111

Men’s Advice Line: 0808 80 10 327

Stop the Music student campaign, KCL Amnesty International, and KCL Intersectional Feminist Society have released their open letter to the King’s College London Student...

Interview

News editor Emma Fallside interviews Sude Inan from the ‘Stop The Music’ campaign on the culture surrounding spiking, ways to tackle the problem and...

Comment Editor Hanna Pham talks with It Happens Here on their exhibition “What Were You Wearing?” While this academic year brought in-person classes and...

A recent resurgence in spiking incidents across King’s campuses, primarily at Guy’s Bar, has reignited student-led efforts to protect members of the community and...