KCLSU Will Move to Bush House in 2017

Bush House

KCLSU will be moving to Bush House in September 2017, the Union announced this week.

The College has also revealed that it is looking into selling the Macadam and Surrey Street buildings, which currently house the Waterfront Bar, the Lobby and the Student Union offices.

Confirmation of the move was sent out to students in an email from KCLSU. A link was included to a ‘Strand Campus Update’ that revealed the College is seeing whether there is ‘commercial interest’ in the Macadam and Surrey Street Buildings.

The update also detailed plans to vacate the Drury Lane building this year and the Virginia Woolf building when the lease expires in 2021.

The Macadam Building

Last year King’s signed a 50-year lease on four of the buildings on Aldwych, including Bush House, the new home of KCLSU.

The Union is hoping that the move will allow for better facilities and has asked for street access to the Strand so that it is more accessible for students.

The potential closure of the Macadam and Surrey Street buildings means that many Science departments will also be based in the Aldwych Quarter.

For those worried about its future, Waterfront will be replaced by a new, bigger space in Bush House.

Ben Hunt, Vice President for Education (Arts & Sciences) said: “We, as a Union, are excited and looking forward to the move.”

Hannah Smethurst, LGBT+ Welfare Officer, described it as an “interesting move we’re hoping will bring lots of new opportunities.” But she also expressed reservations, adding: “Hopefully this will prove to be more than King’s flexing its financial muscles just to prove that it can.”

The new KCLSU design was decided after consultation with over 600 students. Ben Hunt will be holding more consultations throughout the year for students to have their say.