Freshers Fabric-less…No Longer!

Being the Michael Jordan of modesty, I was averse to taking all the credit, but if they insist...from fabriclondon.com

After Islington Council revoked its licence in September, Fabric has been granted back its licence. All you freshers, well by now it’d be a shame if you hadn’t tasted a bit of nightlife that made you marvel at London, but if you haven’t yet and cutting shapes to techno in a sweat dungeon until 7 in the morning sounds like your cup of tea, rejoice!

Being the Michael Jordan of modesty, I was averse to taking all the credit, but if they insist…from fabriclondon.com

Indeed, in what can be dubbed by all a victory for common sense – in a year fraught with some pretty iffy calls (damn you 2016) – the council reneged on its decision. They revoked the club’s license because it was not doing enough to police illegal drug consumption within its walls. Which if you’ve been to Fabric-like venues, you’d recognise that reason as either crazy or only valid if then literally every other club cut from the same fabric – whey – does significantly less.

As someone who preferred other venues and had no intentions to go to Fabric again, it’s important to outline that this decision is beneficial to me and to anyone into the “culture.” What Fabric represents, and the contributions it has made are significant, and its reopening can only be good for the culture, whilst on the flipside its closure was a major blow.

So cheers Sadiq Night-Time-Economy Khan, you really sorted that one out, which is to say you made a silly situation that shouldn’t have happened unhappen, which really plops us back at square one. But hey, the night tube, I’ll give you that. Even if you didn’t accept my application to be London’s Night Czar.

The #saveourculure was started in the wake of Fabric’s closure, but the job’s not yet done with the reopening of one club in a city that has seen over 1,411 clubs close since 2005 (that terribly specific number was the count in 2015), there is work yet to be done.

Some of the fallen; personally bitter about Plastic People

Cameron Leslie and the team are currently “burning the midnight oil” in order to sort the bookings and promotions for the grand reopening, so if you lamented its closure depriving you of the chance to go, dry your eyes mate, you’ll get your chance soon.

SHAG Week banner

Staff writer Daisy Eastlake reports on the proceedings of the annual KCL Politics Society debate. Hosted in Waterloo campus – much to everyone’s dismay...

On 30 January, KCL Students for Justice for Palestine (KCL SJP), in collaboration with Palestinian societies across UK universities, invited Dr Ghada Karmi to...

The popular Tesco Express by the Strand campus has been shut until Friday 16 February for store improvements. While the renovations began over the...