King’s Record Host First Open Mic of the Year

Phil Madeley performs at The King's Record's Open Mic, Connaught Hall

The King’s Record – KCL’s society for musicians and artists of all kinds – hosted their first event of the year at Connaught Hall on October 22nd.

The night was filled with incredible talent from all walks of KCL Life – including singers, guitarists, groups and solo artists – proving yet again that KCL is an amazing place for music

Bea Ilke Redweik, Treasurer and event organizer, told me a bit more about The King’s Record:

“It’s kind of in a test phase right now, we’re gonna go bigger after this, bigger locations and regular events hosted by The King’s Record. Kind of like a King’s night outside of King’s, which would be great. I’ve been part of the society for a year now; I performed at our last event in the Strand Chapel last year. Alex [Hammond, President] and me write and record together.”

“This year we want to give the people who want to play a chance to play. There’s so much talent at KCL and many people still don’t know about us. There’s going to be a Waterfront night really soon, which will be great! We’ve been talking to a venue in London about having a regular night too. We’re also thinking about doing a kind of artists’ speed dating kind of thing, getting musicians and artists together.”

The event was packed out, with KCL revellers dancing to the performers and enjoying the (very) reasonably priced drinks at the bar.

Phil Madeley, one of the artist performing on the night, told me a bit about his experience playing there.

“Open mic nights are fun, especially tonight. It’s great to play to people your own age, whereas at most open mics the average age is about forty. I’ve wanted to be involved with The King’s Record for a year now, I’ve really been looking forward to playing for students.”

“The King’s Record is a great thing to get involved with, for me, because I want to find other musicians and get a band together.”

I had an amazing time – any KCL performers, music lovers or fans of cheap booze, make sure you attend the next one!

The King’s Record are planning many more events for this year. Go to their Facebook to find out more!