Male academics at King’s paid £10,000 more than their female counterparts

King's 'Meet the Professors' frieze. Roar News / Johnny Tam

KING’S paid male academics £10,000 more than women on average last year, with new figures revealing the College has the second widest university gender pay-gap in the country.

Average full-time pay was stuck at £46k for women academics while males earnt £56k – almost double the national gap of £5.7k.

Female academics were left seriously shortchanged earning 18% less than their male counterparts, according to a Times Higher Education survey.

The gap has barely narrowed from the year before when female academics were also paid roughly £10k less than male staff.

This year, female professors at King’s were still worse off, but the gap was less: they earned £78k – around £4k less than male professors who average £82k.

A College spokesperson said King’s was “working hard to understand the reasons for our gender pay gap”.

“We know that women are less likely to be mobile, less likely to apply for promotion and less likely to take on senior administrative roles,” the spokesperson added.

The statistics come just a few months after King’s launched their ‘Meet the professors’ frieze, pictured above, to promote female professors.

The national academic pay gap has been narrowing for some years, falling from a 15.6% difference in 2000.

University and College Union chief Michael MacNeil said that progress to close the pay gap was still too slow: “We need mandatory equal pay audits, an honest appraisal about the scale of the problem and then a concerted effort by all employers to implement remedial action to close the pay gap.”

Female academics were paid more than their male counterparts at 14 institutions.