Turnout at 2% for day one of KCLSU Student Council elections

TURNOUT stood at just over 2% at the end of the yesterday’s first day of voting in the 2014 KCLSU Student Council elections.

Voting opened for this year’s elections at 10am on Monday 13th October, and as of midnight 584 students (2.3%) of King’s 25,000+ student body had cast their vote.

Day 1 accounted for over half the total number of votes cast in the 2012 and 2013 elections, both of which saw just over 1,000 votes cast.

A breakdown of the vote confirms the normal trend that voting is largely being carried out by students based at the Strand Campus, which accounts for 54% of votes cast so far.

Elsewhere Guy’s campus has contributed to 36% of the votes cast, whilst votes cast by students based at Waterloo Campus account for only 5% of the turnout so far.

So far 25% of the votes cast have been by Arts & Humanities students, 22% by students in the School of Medical Education and 5% by those studying at the Dental Institute, with the other 10 schools and faculties making up the rest of the vote.

Voting is currently being dominated by undergraduate students who make up 92% of votes whilst only accounting for roughly 60% of King’s total student body.

Polls are open until 6pm on Wednesday 15th October.