Students ‘will not be penalised if they can’t make tube strike exams’ and can resit later

The ExCel Centre during ACCA accounting exams. David Parry/PA

STUDENTS will not be penalised if they can’t make their exams due to the tube strike and can retake the exams at a later date, King’s Exams office has confirmed.

Resits will be in August 2014 for undergraduates and all students who are unable to attend need to submit an NEA (Notification of Exam Absence) form to their department, a spokesperson said.

Postgraduate resits would normally be scheduled for the following January or May exam period though individual departments will be allowed to schedule these exams in August this year.

Sebastiaan Debrouwere, president of KCLSU, said: “This is a very difficult situation. Over the next few days I will be asking the College to explore solutions to mitigate the situation. Students and their welfare must be the key priority in this.”

King’s told Roar! yesterday that all exams scheduled during the RMT union strike on the 6th-8th May will go ahead as planned.

Whilst there is still time for the strike to be called off, the action is planned to last for 72 hours from 9pm on Monday May 5 until 9pm on Thursday May 8, but TFL have warned that disruption may last into Friday morning.

KCL students have continued to voice their anger over King’s apparent lack of action on the issue.

Widespread line closures and commuting difficulties similar to those seen during last February’s strike can be anticipated.

The industrial action follows the ongoing row over the proposed closure of 260 Tube ticket offices and 960 job cuts.

Update 25.04.14

In a statement, King’s Exams said today: “If on the day of your travel you consider you may be late, do still continue with your journey and we will do our utmost to sit you in the hall. The usual mitigating circumstances/NEA procedures as prescribed by the College regulations will be available to students.”

Roar! will cover any updates which come out of the Exams office review on the April 29.