Snore report: Student Council elections – it’s like life-changing circle time

Pissed off about how things work at the university? 

Hell yeah, omg, you know the–

Before you start ranting, why don’t you just stand for Student Council and get stuff changed yourself?

What’s Student Council? It sounds like a self-important talking shop full of 14 year olds who think they’re doing really important things when they’re actually not. LOL no way, that’s not for me.

Nah it’s not like that – students (i.e. you) elect the council so YOU are the ones who decide what it’s like. Whether that’s you standing or you voting for a decent candidate.

Right, so what sort of thing has Student Council done in the last year?

Increased disability provision, introduced kosher food into union outlets, affiliated the union to mental health services, protected survivors of sexual abuse through banning triggering music being played on union property, and loads more!

I still don’t want to stand.

No problem, just log on and vote any time between 10am on Mon 13 and Wed 15 October.

No wait, maybe I do want to stand.

Then nominate yourself before 5pm on Mon 6th October (this coming Monday). It only takes a second – just log in and click here.

Okay, but what can I even run for?

There are education positions, NUS delegates, student club reps, women’s officer, disabled students’ officer, environment officer and loads others. Check out the full list here.

Wait, so I’m not a woman, but can I run for women’s officer?

Not exactly, if you want to run for a Welfare and Community position, you need to identify with the group that position is designed to help (i.e. self-identifying Women’s Officer can only be run for by women, duh).

Okay right, I got it, hmmm. I’ll think about.

Go on, we dare you.