KCLSU shock announcement: Tutu’s to close

TODAY it was announced that the beloved KCLSU nightclub Tutu’s is set to close at the end of the academic year.

The venue has been struggling to make ends meet in recent years – making a loss of £114,000 last financial year – prompting union chiefs to make the tough decision. In a recent survey of 1,385 students, only half said they had ever been to Tutu’s. Students will soon have the opportunity to have their say about what to do with the space in a consultation period.

Former Vice President for Student Media and Engagement Fran Allfrey summed up the views of disgruntled students in a tweet, saying: “wait, wait.. when did we get the chance to express views? And why wasn’t this saved for vote at AGM #studentled #yeahright”

KCLSU President Thomas Clayton said in a statement on KCLSU’s website: “After careful consideration and having listened to the views and opinions expressed by many of you, I can now announce that Tutu’s Nightclub in the Macadam Building on Strand Campus will close at the end of this academic year.

Despite our best efforts the popularity of Tutu’s Nightclub has declined and with that has come some financial losses, prompting the need for review.

I want to reassure you that the closure of Tutu’s is in no way a sign that KCLSU are withdrawing investment in your student experience. Whilst we may be saying goodbye to Tutu’s we’ll be saying hello to London, with exciting plans to work with venues around the Capital to bring you the student nightlife you’ve told us you prefer.

Our new programme will have much more variety, not just nightclub events, offering a greater choice. We’ll be saying a fond farewell to Tutu’s Nightclub with a series of events before the closure, celebrating the clubs’ history and giving you the chance to make some final memories.”

Clayton addressed the fact that his manifesto promised to tackle the financial losses at Tutu’s, saying that he feels reinvesting the money saved from closing the club into other student activities is a wise move:

“When I was elected last year I pledged as part of my manifesto to look into tackling the financial losses being seen at Tutu’s Nightclub, reviewing where investments should be made to ensure that KCLSU is bringing you the best value experience. I hope that you feel as I do that the decision to close Tutu’s and reinvest in other areas for a more versatile student experience is the right one.”

The consultation period will begin next semester.

You can follow Ben Jackson on Twitter at @bjacksonuk