In a statement released on Monday, Vice Principal Nicola Phillips and Executive Director Darren Wallis announced that remote teaching and learning will continue for the remainder of the academic year.

The statement confirms that the majority of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching will continue to be delivered online, with some exceptions for courses that require specialist practical learning or placements that will take place in person.

It comes after the announcement of Education Secretary Gavin Williamson’s expected plans to begin a phased return to on-campus learning from 8 March. The College explains their decision to continue remote learning as “any possible easing of restrictions in March would be very close to the end of teaching for Semester 2 and revision for Assessment period 2.”

Assessments are to be held remotely wherever possible for the rest of the year. The College revealed its Fair Assessment Policy Package in January and reassert its aim “to ensure [students] are assessed fairly and not academically disadvantaged as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.”

The statement also urges students to refrain from travelling, according to the latest Government advice, and to avoid moving between different accommodations. In the vent that students come to campus, the College expects them to take part in regular testing. Students are also able to take part in the KCL TEST – Covid-19 Study, should they wish to.

Despite attempts to return to on-campus learning in September through smaller activities such as seminars and laboratory sessions, London’s entry into Tier 2 in October and the subsequent national lockdown in November meant that most on-campus learning was moved online. This has continued into the second semester.

As of yet, no information has been given about teaching during the next academic year, However, the College affirms that it is “here to support you and will continue to keep you updated with the latest information and guidance.” For more information at present, students are directed to see Student Services Online, or get in touch with their department.

Do you agree? Leave a comment