Barking Tornado: ‘I thought l would die’

Barking Tornado East London

Residents near Hulse Avenue, Barking Park sighted a “tornado” at around 7 PM on June 25.

Residents witnessed “bags for life, newspapers and a trampoline whirling in the air” and claimed that this tornado reached “as far as the eye could see into the sky”.

Police and firefighters rushed to the scene and blocked the entrance to Shirley Gardens and Hustborne Gardens in an attempt to provide safety, security, and help to anyone in need.

Barking Tornado scenes

Scenes from the Barking “tornado” incident on June 25.

Roar spoke with witnesses and fellow students from the area to hear their reactions to the bizarre weather. One 67-year-old resident told reporters “it felt like it was the end of the world”, with another 24-year-old onlooker from Shirley Gardens reporting similar feelings:

“It was once in a lifetime experience but it felt like i was in one of those movies, and i could do nothing but pray. i felt helpless”

Experts have yet to explain what might have caused this “mini tornado” that people initially thought was a fire because of the “black debris whirling into the sky”.

Floodings have also been reported in Dagenham and other parts of East London. One King’s student from Romford told Roar they were having a “normal evening, and then seemingly out of nowhere started raining in sheets”. They continued:

“And within a couple of minutes the roads were just flooded, and you could barely hear from the noise”

No casualties have been reported as a result of the incident, with Barking and Dagenham council have announced that they will “ensure support” to anyone who has been affected by this incident. The Met Police have also said they will be “liaising with the local authority to ensure support is available to anyone affected by damage to property”.

If you have been affected by this incident, please contact your local helplines.

Physics Student at King's College London | 07948080968 | [email protected]

I'm probably the only one who can make you laugh on here... So go ahead and read what I've written for you

Staff Writer Mohammed Mustafa Ali discusses the future positive impacts of AI, including the future of biotechnology, business and space travel. As proven by...

Roar’s Deputy Editor-in-Chief Aman Patel reporting the ongoing case of missing King’s nursing student, Owami Davies.  Owami Davies is a 24 year old nursing...