One Story a Day: Reflections on the “Like the Prose” Challenge

My Like the Prose challenge "certificate."

In June 2020, I signed up for The Literal Challenge’s Like the Prose, where I was expected to write a piece of prose every day based on daily briefs sent to my email address. There was plenty of flexibility allowed in the project: one could have chosen a timed route, where they had to send in a new piece of prose every day; or a creative route, where one got a prompt every day, but they could send as few or as many works as they pleased. I chose the former, and I completed it, but it was not an easy task. Although I’m not able to tell if anything I’d written is valuable, I did learn a few things about my own writing process.

*

June 1st

Write something on the theme of a blank page. Fitting for a start. It can’t be that hard, right? If all briefs are as specific yet open as this one, then it should be quite fun to do this.

June 9th

Expected to write a prosimetrum, the pale fire of my motivation turned sour at first—then I ended up having the most fun I’d had since starting the challenge. Shakespearian sonnets, meets feeble attempts at keeping a relationship afloat, meets history repeating itself; meets a breakup haiku via e-mail. It was truly enjoyable to write this, and it made up for all the negative energy I might have begun to transmit.

June 12th

It’s the second day of writing a trilogy; my very first.

I noticed that I have a tendency to fear-freeze before ever typing the first word of anything, so I’ve decided to change my approach: whether I have an idea or not, I write and write and never stop until I’m at an end. The story can suck, as long as I have something to work on after the challenge.

Who knows, maybe adding the motif of a pork pie hat on a whim might reap its own benefits?

June 15th

I’m so done with this. I never want to write anything ever again. This is terrible and I want to quit.

I’m pretty sure I haven’t made enough research for my sob story of smile similes to be anything more than fan fiction; not that I’m a big fan of Mona Lisa, but that was the inspiration for today.

June 17th

I finally get it. For the past few days, I’ve been trying to focus so much on plot – I had too little time to focus on the characters and my joy of depth, and wanted to get it over with, so I concentrated solely on the surface-level what’s going on – that I dropped my strength.

Every writer approaches things differently, and I, at my best (am I at a level where I can refer to “my best,” though?), move from the inward world of the character out to the story, and that damned plot. If I try to start at the latter, things feel stale and I don’t enjoy the writing as much.

I am learning something about myself here, after all.

June 28th

They’re going easy on us, possibly as a reward for sticking through it. Today, we’re supposed to pick our favourite story from the challenge (or the longest one) and shorten it by half. I guess they’re trying to make us learn to kill our darlings, which is most certainly not my strong suit.

June 30th

I’m done. I wrote the last piece in the form of a letter to a loved one, since I was still feeling restless after a certain falling out with them the other day. Life begets art; maybe art will beget life back—or a connection, at least? Not that I’m great at human interaction as it is, and maybe that’s why I prefer to write stories.

*

I don’t regret taking part in this challenge, though I’m not sure if I’d do it again. If there’s anything I’ve learned from it, it’s that I should trust my process, my intuition, my starting points, my timing. If I prefer to focus on 90% insufferable streams of consciousness and only 10% on plot, maybe there is a market for that somewhere?

The second thing I’ve learned is something that, in the consumerist, showy, entrepreneurial world we live in, is becoming harder to maintain: quality over quantity. Having written thirty whole pieces of prose, I can say with certainty that I’d rather write one truly great work than many mediocrities.

Nonetheless, I do not regret it. If anything, it was an exercise in perseverance and self-trust. Now that it’s over, and I have nothing tangible to force me to write, I can return to my chronic sense of guilt for not writing and doing enough.

Roar investigate claims from student athletes that the facilities at New Malden Ground had deteriorated to appalling standards. Student athletes have long been voicing...

KCL has dropped its commitment to achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2025, pushing the goal back to 2030 amid revelations that emissions have...

Staff writer Mina Yasar gives writing advice, and how to make a career out of writing no matter your degree choice.  While I was...

Creative Corner is a space to share your creative writing at Roar! We hope you’ll enjoy the short stories we publish, all of which...