Why study science at King’s?

Research, expertise and history at King’s science and health schools.
When we are trying to choose a university, the first question that we ask ourselves is, ‘why study there?’ And if King’s is one of your choices and you want to study science, you must also be asking yourself the question, ‘why study science at King’s?’ So, I will make your life a bit easier by answering that question. And the good thing is that you will get know it all from a student’s perspective, rather than an old professor telling you in an unbearable monotone (Don’t tell anyone that I said that!). So without wasting any time, let’s get down to business!

At King’s, we have six academic schools dedicated to science, five health sciences schools and one for natural science. These include the School of Medicine, School of Dentistry, School of Biomedical Sciences, the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery, the Institute of Psychiatry, and School of Natural and Mathematical Sciences. Now, let’s not talk about the technical stuff regarding specific courses because you can find that in the King’s prospectus. Instead, I will tell you about the interesting and exciting facts related to our science schools.

Let’s talk about our health schools first. The most important fact is more than ten thousand students study under the five health schools, which makes King’s the largest centre for healthcare training and education in the whole of Europe. Now that’s something to be legitimately proud of (Although we are also quite proud of stealing Jeremy Bentham’s head form UCL but that’s another story). On top of that, King’s is home to six Medical Research Council (MRC) Centres, which is more than Oxford, Cambridge and UCL (just saying!) and in fact more than any other university in the UK. And the best thing about studying at King’s health schools is that you are taught by leading researchers. Everyone who is involved in research at King’s must teach and everyone who teaches is involved in research as well. This combination ensures students receive the best education possible whether they study Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Biomedical Science or any other health science.

Now, if all this doesn’t convince you that King’s is a great place to study health sciences, some of our great King’s health sciences personalities should. One of the most obvious ones is Florence Nightingale, who founded our School of Nursing and Midwifery as the name suggests. Another one is Thomas Guy, who founded the Guy’s Hospital and after whom our amazing Guy’s Campus is named. Whenever we are talking about great King’s personalities, we have to mention Rosalind Franklin and Maurice Wilkins. Both these scientists played a crucial role in discovering the structure of DNA and nowadays they feature outside our Franklin-Wilkins Building at Waterloo Campus.

If I had more words I would talk about each of our five health schools individually but the word limit does not permit me to do so. So before I run out of space, let’s give you a perspective on the School of Natural and Mathematical Sciences (NMS) as well. Just like our health schools, the teaching and research in the School of NMS go hand in hand. Cutting edge research takes place in areas of bioinformatics, theoretical physics, chemistry, robotics and many more subjects. The most amazing fact about this school is that Professor Higgs studied here. He is the same Professor Higgs who is famous for predicting the existence of the Higgs-Boson particle, which is of fundamental importance in physics and is hence known as the God Particle.

I hope I have convinced you that King’s is a great place to study science. If not, visit our website or give us a visit and you’ll see for yourself!