Sikh Society Celebrate New Year with Free Food for King’s Students

Bush House front door
Image courtesy of Emma Carmichael

Free food available for students today in the King’s Building to celebrate Sikh new year.

Free food on campus for one whole day? Yes please!

King’s Sikh Society is hosting their third annual ‘Langar on Campus’ event on 27 February at Strand Campus in King’s Building (River Room). King’s Sikhs is London’s largest University Sikh Society which aims to connect the Sikh Students of KCL. However, for one day and one day only, non-members of the society and students external to Kings are invited to the Sikh society’s biggest event of the year!

What is Sikhism?

Sikhism is the world’s fifth largest religion which was founded by the first Guru, Guru Nanak Dev ji in the Northern Indian state of Punjab. Guru Nanak Dev ji preached the values of compassion, selfless service and meditation in rejection of worldly vices. Guru Nanak Dev ji was a revolutionary who designed an institution whereby people from different social standings, in a divided India, were able to sit together on the floor as equals to partake in ‘pangat’ – rows of people enjoying food.

What is Langar?

‘Langar’ means communal kitchen where food is prepared and served to everyone regardless of their background. Langar can be traced to a story of Guru Nanak Dev ji in which his father, Mehta Kalu, encouraged his son to become a trader and gave him 20 rupees to conduct a ‘Sacha Sauda’ meaning a ‘true business’. However, out of pure consideration for holy people who had not eaten for days, Guru Nanak Dev ji utilised his father’s finance to support those in need of food.

The third Guru, Guru Amar Das ji, formalised the institution of Langar. In every Sikh place of worship, the Gurdwara, one can partake in eating Langar regardless of caste, creed, race, religion, gender etc. Langar is purely funded by the donations of the Sikh congregation.

Who are King’s Sikh Society?

Sikh Society was established well before 2010 and was created to connect the Sikh Students of King’s College London. Sikh Society has now grown to become London’s largest university Sikh Society and our events this year have consisted of early morning prayer sessions, educational talks, devotional singing on campus, socials and much more!

Why Langar on Campus?

The Sikh New Year is on 14th March 2024 and it is called ‘Chet’ which marks the first month in the Nanakshahi calendar that dictates Sikh activities. The Langar on Campus event is hoping to educate the wider King’s Community on the origins of Langar whilst feeding many hungry students in celebration of Chet. It is approximated that 400+ students will be fed with Langar supplied by the local central Gurdwara, Shepherd’s Bush Khalsa Jatha.

Follow @KingsSikhs on Instagram to find out more!

Joshua Buray