BREAKING: KCLSU Tell Staff that Suspended Officers Are “Returning to Work”, Still No Communication to Students

Photo by Photography lead Emma Carmichael

On Thursday 2 May, King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU) staff were internally informed that three elected student representatives were being reinstated.

“I write to inform you that the three suspended Sabbatical Officers are now returning to work. They are now back on email and will be attending meetings and working in person in the office.

Senior managers and HR are working with staff who will have contact with the individuals to ensure that we are able to support them and the officers as they complete their tenures.

If colleagues have any questions, please feel free to raise them directly with me or to contact HR so that your queries can be answered.”

Internal KCLSU email seen by Roar

At no point had the Union informed the student body, who the Officers were elected by, that the three were facing any kind of sanction. The SU has been publicly silent on the issue for over 150 days.

The three Officers were suspended last autumn after making a joint statement criticising the Union’s lack of a public position on the war in Gaza. The next day, they alleged “intimidation and mistreatment” from KCLSU officials, who the Officers claim were attempting to get them to delete the statement.

The comments may have fallen outside of the actions expected in the Officer Code of Conduct, although the decision to end their suspensions without further action would suggest that this was not the case. Roar understands that the Union solicited significant legal advice over their decision.

It also suggests that the KCLSU’s President-elect, Hassan Ali, who is one of the three formerly suspended Officers, will be able to begin his term in office on 1 July.

The message criticising the SU is still live and visible on the Instagram pages of Hassan Ali (VP Welfare & Community, President-Elect), Alizeh Abrar (VP Postgraduate) and Sadaf Abbas Cheema (VP Arts & Sciences).

Roar have approached the KCLSU and all three reinstated Officers for comment.

Music Festival Stage and Crowd Music Festival Stage and Crowd

Scammers claiming to be members of staff at King’s College London (KCL) have targeted students at the university. On 9 May, King’s sent an...

Roar can reveal that King’s College London (KCL) has spent £48,401.27 promoting the use of the ‘King’s Student’ app since its launch in autumn...

Today, Sunday 5 May 2024, marks 150 days since the last time the King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU) publicly acknowledged its three suspended...