BREAKING: Exam-Disrupting Tube Strike Called Off at the Last Minute

Closed Tube station

Strike action which would have halted Tube services across London this week has been cancelled, the RMT Union announced today.

The action had been expected to bring significant disruption to KCL students travelling to exams.

Underground workers in the Rail, Maritime, and Transport (RMT) Union had previously announced strike action scheduled from 17:30 on Sunday 7 January to 12:00 on Friday 12 January, but the strike was called offer after new talks were announced with Transport for London (TfL).

The strikes were expected to cause disruption across the whole TfL network, with busy overground and bus services also heavily impacted. However, KCL students taking exams at London’s ExCeL Centre this week were told that exams would be going ahead as planned, with exceptions being allowed for students arriving late to exam halls.

Adding to students’ transport woes, the Met Office had issued yellow alerts for Greater London, warning of “icy patches and wintry showers” expected to further affect students’ journeys overground.

RMT workers had voted to strike after rejecting a below-inflation pay increase of five percent, which had been described by TfL as “the most we can afford”. However, sources have now told BBC London that “more money was now on the table and pay talks would be reopened.”

Mick Lynch, general secretary of the RMT Union, said: “Following further positive discussions today, the negotiations on a pay deal for our London Underground members can now take place on an improved basis and mandate with significant further funding for a settlement being made available.”

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan said: “This shows what can be achieved by engaging and working with trade unions and transport staff, rather than working against them.”

Maughan library

Roar can exclusively reveal that Vice-Chancellor Shitij Kapur’s flat within the Maughan Library is 1,800 square feet (167 square meters) and that the university...

Roar Staff Writer Leah Napier-Raikes takes on the UK’s housing crisis, linking it with the rise of the short-term lets and the uptick in...

Julian Assange protest Julian Assange protest

On Tuesday 20 February and Wednesday 21 February, protesters gathered outside the Royal Courts of Justice near King’s College London’s Strand campus, demanding the...

Students taking exams early next week can expect temperatures of 5°C (41°F), icy roads, intermittent sleet and an unreliable transport network. According to the...

Culture Editor Connor Williams discusses today’s media landscape as the modern-day manifestation of the wendigo, shedding light on its eerie parallels with the current...

Film

Staff Writer and Photographer Emma Carmichael covers a demonstration hosted at the BFI London Film Festival on 4 October 2023, and speaks to campaigners...

On 5 October, the University and College Union (UCU) announced that Universities UK (UUK) have agreed to reverse the 35% cut made to university...