VARSITY 2022: Editor’s Note

I think it would be wrong to start off this editor’s note with another message of tedious hope and grandeur. So after nearly a year since the last (half) Varsity series, all that really matters this time round is that Varsity is back. And properly back. No covid measures, nor reduced capacities, nor dodgy streams in front of tables of 6 at GB only for the big hitter events- Varsity is back like the good old days of 2020. In fact, (touch wood) better than 2020, without a looming global pandemic threatening to curtail the series’ action on the final day.

Between Thursday 17th March to Monday 21st, London’s biggest annual festival of sport comes not just back to our screens, but in front of our eyes, too. Last year’s Varsity series was a reduced series without spectators, and despite some sunny early June weather making some coverage trips very pleasant, such as an afternoon in front of the Lacrosse in 25 degree heat, it was another painful story of defeat for King’s overall and in the big hitter events too.

This time round though, there’s far more cause for optimism. Firstly, there’s (less) risk of Caledonian heritage me not getting pitifully sunburnt doing the coverage. But more importantly, it is a full slate of events. I think I speak for most when I say the greatest joy of lounging in front of the Summer or Winter Olympics is flicking through obscure sports that one would never normally dream of watching. To that end, Varsity has you covered in abundance. Ultimate Frisbee is in Regents Park on Thursday afternoon, with free admission. Pole Fitness is on the 8th floor of Bush House North wing. And if you want to go even more local, Fencing is happening on the Monday in the Great Hall, again with free admission.

However, most importantly, attendances are back. So, if you haven’t already, I implore all of you reading this (who likely this will be either your last or first Varsity series) to get your tickets. The ticketing page for this year is here with links to all of the events. The events are taking place across a range of venues in beautiful London, however, some, such as the Hockey and Swimming, are taking place in London 2012 Olympic Venues in Stratford. That’s worth the admission fee alone.

Another reason to get your tickets is that in certain sports there are reasons for King’s to be optimistic. I know this is certainly the case for football, where not do GKT Men’s FC look set to retain their title, after conquering all before them across London this season, but the KCL Men’s 1s can pounce on an unusally poor season from the UCL 1s to avenge the heartbreak of 3 final losses on the bounce. King’s remain strong in the Hockey and American Football, too.

Yes, there will be events that are streamed live this year, namely the big hitters of KCL Rugby, both Medics and KCL Hockey, and KCL Football, but experiencing the event live, with your friends, and enjoying the atmosphere, is the far more rewarding experience. Especially after we haven’t been able to do it for so long.

To supplement this, ROAR will give you daily previews of all the events, and keep an eye on our social pages, especially the Instagram, for stories of score updates, photos, and the occasional livestream.

It’s the best time in the Uni calendar. So forget your deadlines for a few days, and soak up the atmosphere for Varsity’s return.

Up the KCL.

Images credited to KCLSU.

Jacob Anderson speaking at the 2019 San Diego Comic Con International, for "Game of Thrones", at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California. Jacob Anderson is a lead in Interview with a Vampire.

Staff Writer Mohana Mitra examines the successes and unanswered questions of ‘Interview with a Vampire’ Part II. (This article contains spoilers) Immortality beats a...