Women’s March in London: Saturday 21 January

15800696_10211289727780183_488667933803874099_oThis Saturday 21st of January women and men will unite in major cities across the globe and march in the name of women’s rights.

Why? Because those rights have been severely threatened with the outcome of the 2016 US presidential election. Indeed, Trump’s win not only means a major ideological change in the White House, it could also result in some very concrete changes in American and global society.

The Women’s March in London will start at 12pm on Saturday, in front of the US embassy. Thousands of people will then make their way to Trafalgar square, for a rally of 90 minutes, which will last until 2pm. On the Facebook event page, more than 30,000 people have shown their interest in the march.

Held on the day after the official start of Trump’s presidency, the marches across the globe are a clear message from women to the new White House resident. In London, women are getting ready for the march by posting pictures of their signs. Some read ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fundamental Human Rights’ or ‘We Fight for our Right to End the Patriarchy’. Other signs are less diplomatic.

The most important thing to know is that the march is inclusive and welcomes all that support the feminist cause. The marches are a reminder that the women’s movement will not be brought down even though there are tough times ahead. It is a shout against the discrimination and oppression of women, that the president-elect seems to encourage. Women will not give up the progress that has been made, and will not give in to threats of regression.

Staff Writer Grace Holloway reflects on the upcoming two year anniversary of Dobbs v. Jackson. She considers how the US Supreme Court case reshaped...

Staff Writer Angelika Etherington-Smith critically assesses the growing problem of the objectification of men in Hollywood. The last year has been strongly dominated by...