When Rihanna’s pout met MAC

Rihanna has collaborated with MAC on a sell-out range of statement lipsticks. Are they any good though?

“Beauty to me is about being comfortable in your own skin. That or a kick-ass red lipstick.” Gwyneth Paltrow

Whether your aim is to plump up thin lips or define full ones, lipstick is the essential component to a cosmetic bag. It gives women a thrilling sense of sensuality and empowerment, and is an instant confidence booster that ties together any look. Indeed, with lipsticks, the bolder the better.

Many women tend to be too afraid to opt for a brighter shade, however research has shown that bright lipstick can be the most attention-grabbing part of a look. The study showed that people fixated their glance on a woman wearing red lipstick for 7.3 seconds and pink lipstick for 6.7 seconds, yet only 2.2 seconds for au natural lips. So be brave, take a risk, and steal the limelight with your perfect pout.

Singer and beauty icon Rihanna has launched yet another make-up line with MAC, a limited edition RiRi Hearts MAC lipstick collection. The selection of warm shades were completely sold-out, both online and in stores within one hour, and are MAC’s current best-sellers. However, are these lipsticks worth £16.50 in colour and elegance? Or are you paying for the celebrity endorsement?

Talk That Talk is a long lasting (8 hours) deep burgundy shade, with a retro-matte finish. It is a touch darker than Chanel L’Impatiente, but lighter than MAC Soulfully Rich. It is perfect for an evening out, and will best stand out with vibrant, coloured outfits (reds, pinks, blues).

Who’s That Chick is a mid-orange tone, with a dash of light orange gloss to it. It has a shimmery and creamy finish, and therefore does not last as long as the others (two and half hours to be precise).

Nude is a dark-brown shade with a matte-finish. It is useful for daytime wear due to its long-lasting creamy texture, and prevents drying by hydrating the lips. It is also a neutral colour, and can be easily matched with a variety of outfits.

RiRi Woo is the signature, statement-making red lipstick. It is very similar to MAC’s Ruby Woo but there is a slight, yet barely noticeable difference to their darkness.

Whatever your elite lipstick is, own it, and wear it with confidence. Even if it is just going to end up staining the rim of the wine glass…

Staff Writer Jagoda Ziolkowska reflects upon the many faces of culture – an ideal of unified beauty or a powerful tool for manipulation? “Books,...

Staff writer Nia Simeonova reviews the “Museum of the Moon”, an awe-inspiring installation currently being shown at the Old Royal Naval College. A few...

Roar writer Siddhi Jain on reinterpreting beauty beyond its external appearance. We have grown up interpreting beauty through the lens of what meets the sight....

Comment Editor Samuel Pennifold on the UK Government’s decision to go ahead with the easing of all Covid-19 restrictions on July 19. The UK’s...