Top 10 tips to stay mentally healthy

The top ten tips for a happier, healthier you.

As the first term is well under way and coursework deadlines begin to pile up, it’s easy to get yourself worked up into a state. Follow these ten simple tips to stay happy and healthy:

1. Take time to rest

With busy working and social calendars, make sure you allow yourself time to recover and recuperate: be it from nights out, essay overload or too many shifts at work.

2. Stay active

Join a gym, a sports society or even walk around London’s endless parks and gardens. Doing exercise releases endorphins which instantly make you feel healthier and happier.

3. Don’t take it too far

Many students feel they have to live up to the ‘student’ expectation amongst their peers: going out every night drinking, smoking and taking drugs. These can be fun at the time, but make sure you don’t overdo it; these can cause long-term damage, not only for your health but also for your mental wellbeing.

4. Build relationships

A strong support system is essential for your mental health. Supportive friends and family make you feel included, knowing there is always someone you can talk to and rely on. Make an effort to stay in touch with people and don’t be afraid to make new friends, these can be equally as successful friendships as people you have known all your life.

5. Eat good. Feel good.

As a student, money and laziness often get in the way of eating healthily, if you make an extra effort you really will notice the difference. Certain foods are proven to give you short-term highs, like caffeine and sugar but getting your 5 a day improves your health and happiness.

6. Try something new.

Whether it be joining a new society, going to an art exhibition or joining a discussion group. Try and get stimulated and inspired, you might discover it’s not your thing at first, but you’ll soon find something that is.

7. Accept yourself.

Don’t compare your coursework grades to your peers’, or your relationship to your friends’- remember that everyone is different.

8. Do something nice for someone else.

Cook your flatmates a meal, call your grandparents to check in, or book a last minute train ticket to visit your best friend. Seeing others smile will instantly boost your mood and people will return the gestures.

9.  Don’t keep quiet.

If you’re upset, angry or stressed make sure you talk to someone, be it friends, family or a counsellor.

10. Organise your time.

Be pro-active. Set yourself personal deadlines and goals using to do lists or post-it notes.

An artist's impression of gravitational waves. An artist's impression of gravitational waves.

Members of the KCL Encampment attempt to force entry into the KCL alumni awards Members of the KCL Encampment attempt to force entry into the KCL alumni awards

On Tuesday 11 June, King’s College London’s (KCL) annual Alumni Awards night, recognising a small number of KCL alumni for their achievements over the...

Close-Up Shot of Peanuts Close-Up Shot of Peanuts

Staff writer Au Young Yiu Wai examines the methods Heathrow Airport could adopt to become a more student friendly space. Amidst the flurry of...

Staff Writer Vingie Lau reflects on the pressure of parental expectations and the cost for children – the main topics of the movie ‘Time...

King’s College London (KCL) has achieved the Student Minds University Mental Health Charter Award, coinciding with this year’s University Mental Health Day on 14...