London arts: ‘Your cultural enlightenment awaits…’

The vibrant arts scene in London is completely unrivalled; from amateur opera to award-winning West End productions, there’s something to whet every appetite.

No other city in the UK can provide you with a student experience close to London’s. Unlike some of our friends, we might not be partying as much (or as cheaply), but that certainly doesn’t mean that we’re boring or limited! Instead you’re more likely to find a King’s student soaking up an exhibition at the V & A or enjoying a comedy night in Islington.

And just because it’s London, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s expensive.

Part of the beauty of studying in London is that there’s something for every budget, however big or small! For under a fiver you can soak up some Shakespeare at the Globe, head to one of London’s many free art galleries, catch some comedy or even a poetry slam. Up your budget to £10 and you can grab yourself tickets for the opera, the Donmar Warehouse or a brand new play at the Almeida.

As home to over 300 museums, there’s an array of intriguing exhibitions on at any one time. From the British Museum, which welcomed 480,000 visitors in August 2012, to the slightly more obscure, such as Greenwich’s Fan Museum (the only homage to the humble cooling device on the planet) and the Cartoon Museum, which celebrates the very best of British cartoons, caricatures and comics from the 18th century to the present day, excitingly exhibiting some original work from The Beano and The Dandy!

For the budding Oscar-winners amongst you, there’s also plenty of opportunity to be involved in staging a performance, with societies dedicated to showcasing the more talented of us. Not only does King’s put on a number of productions each year, there’s always plenty of offerings from the other universities in London, so even if you stay inside London’s student bubble you can still enjoy a wealth of culture. In the last year I’ve been treated to musicals, an opera, a comedy revue and student written plays, highlighting the variety of student life in London.

It’s simply impossible to satiate your thirst for culture in the capital. I can guarantee you won’t regret choosing to come and study in London, all you need to do is grab the bull by its horns and ensure that you don’t miss out on any of the opportunities available to you!

Staff Writer Anwesh Banerjee reviews King’s Musical Theatre Society’s ‘Legally Blonde,’ which played at the Greenwood Theatre from 25 to 27 April 2024. When...

Culture Editor Evelyn Shepphird examines political violence and filial loyalty within Robert Icke’s ‘Player Kings’, the West End adaptation of Shakespeare’s ‘Henry IV’ Parts...