Beauty note: LFW

Beauty went patriotic at London Fashion Week in September as looks were all about the English rose, both edgy and traditional, for Spring/Summer 2014.

Traditionally London Fashion Week presents beauty fans with a serious dilemma every season. Eye shadow heavy on one runway, lipstick galore on another; there is usually too much diversity to define an overall trend.

However, the shows for Spring/Summer 2014 have taken the beauty world by surprise. For once, it seems that London Fashion Week has spoken with a collective voice. The muse they presented us with was that of a lady who defines the grace and nature of English beauty, while still embracing London street edge.

Dewy, natural and radiant skin was seen at every show. Make-up artist Lisa Eldridge at Temperley London even sent out models with no foundation at all.

Henry Holland spiced things up, taking the look from natural grace to graceful edge. Our English rose became Shakespeare’s Juliet as Holland, inspired by Baz Luhrmann’s masterpiece, used bold tulip-red lip stains, and statement religious iconography nail art.

Christopher Kane and JW Anderson further emphasised the look with full brows and natural lip colours.

Burberry, however, introduced the ‘Modern English Rose’. Their pastel palette was complemented by a fresh, petal-pink eye shadow, along with no mascara. This look sent the beauty bloggers into an experimental craze, and is sure to be a top trend for SS14.

PPQ, on the other hand, transformed the English Rose to dark and seductive, presenting the ‘Poisonous Flower’. Maybelline Colour Tattoo in purple was the exact shade used to create a deeply defined, penetrating effect.

Julien Macdonald and Michael Van Der Ham further pushed our London lady into the realms of expensive seduction with gold glitter and a touch of dark shadow.

Topshop Unique, however, should take the prize for best spectacle of LFW. Their make-up artist Hannah Murray’s concept of a beachy, disheveled beauty was breathtaking: smudged, shimmery, smoky eye with a touch of silver sparkle at the inner corner. This was not the rock star smudge of LFW’s past but one of grace. A first for London’s fashionable eye.

LFW SS14 directed us to embrace our natural beauty. Use light and glowing bases, and rose-toned pinks for a beautiful natural look, but spice it up with glitter for a sophisticated and playful edge in the evening.

Staff Writer Jagoda Ziolkowska reflects upon the many faces of culture – an ideal of unified beauty or a powerful tool for manipulation? “Books,...

Staff writer Nia Simeonova reviews the “Museum of the Moon”, an awe-inspiring installation currently being shown at the Old Royal Naval College. A few...

Roar writer Siddhi Jain on reinterpreting beauty beyond its external appearance. We have grown up interpreting beauty through the lens of what meets the sight....

Simon Aboud’s This Beautiful Fantastic (2016) certainly contained elements of beauty and certainly contained elements of fantastic. Fancy a film inspired by Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s...