UK patient with Coronavirus being treated at St Thomas’ Hospital

0
369

Yesterday, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust posted a statement on Facebook confirming that they are currently treating a patient who has tested positive for Coronavirus. 

The statement read: “We are currently treating a patient with coronavirus. As the patient is being treated in isolation, there is absolutely no risk to any other patients or visitors.” The patient, who is thought to have contracted the virus in Singapore, is the third within the United Kingdom to have been diagnosed with it. He is now being treated at St Thomas’ Hospital.

In response to the outbreak, the UK Government has encouraged individuals arriving from nine Asian countries to check for symptoms, including Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand, advice which had earlier only been given to people travelling from mainland China.

Keeping in mind the proximity of King’s students with Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals, the university has emailed students assuring them that it is “continuing to monitor the situation closely.” The email stated: “As a community we uphold shared values of respect and compassion to one another. It remains important that we continue to work together to support each other and to ensure that we adhere to and reflect these values.”

Earlier this week, Roar also reported on King’s students who are considering returning to London from their study abroad countries due to the risk of attracting the virus. In particular, King’s students studying in Singapore have been told that the university is currently evaluating the situation and that students have the “full right” to return to London if they deem it necessary.

The Students’ Union has yet to comment on the issue.

If you have any concerns about your health in relation to coronavirus, please follow Public Health England advice and contact NHS 111.