Music

Concert Review: Rum Jungle at Village Underground

Rum Jungle performing at London's Village Underground.
Rum Jungle at London's Village Underground. Image courtesy of Roar News.

Science Editor Jana Bazeed takes the readers ‘underground’ for a Rum Jungle concert with excellent supporting acts.

On 25 September 2024, up-and-coming Australian indie band Rum Jungle played at London’s Village Underground. Some fans had come from all over the UK to watch them play, Roar found out.

Located in the heart of Shoreditch, Village Underground lived up to its name: the relatively nondescript entrance would be easy to miss in the damp London evening if not for the eager crowds and a simple A4 sheet announcing the set-times. Clad in flannel, mullets and leather, fans were lining up down the street — indie sleaze is indeed alive and well.

Absolutely Anytime, supporting Rum Jungle at London’s Village Underground. Image courtesy of Roar News.

The first supporting act, London-based pop-punk outfit Absolutely Anytime, set the mood for the night. Crowds were left buzzing with anticipation. The performance of their latest single, ‘say what u want!’ showcased the band’s bright and youthful energy. However, it was ‘Stars and Disasters’ that became a real standout of the night, capturing the confusion and rush of emotions that can come with new love.

Keo supporting Rum Jungle at London’s Village Underground. Image courtesy of Roar News.

Keo, the second supporting act, started strong with a performance of ‘Deserts’, the heavier guitar and raw vocals almost hypnotising. Throughout the 45-minute set, their 90s alt-rock influences were evident in everything, from tunes to the attire; the melancholic sound and introspective lyrics of ‘Fly’ and ‘Thorns’ brought the likes of Radiohead to mind.

At 9:45 sharp, there was a palpable shift in energy as Rum Jungle took to the stage. Fans were screaming and jumping in joy as the first notes of ‘Electric Snowman’ played. The band’s latest release ‘Weather’s Better’ encapsulates their laid-back, beachy feel — the perfect track for the close of the summer as we return to the routine that comes with a new academic year. From chatting with attendees after the show, ‘Did The Morning Let You Down’ was a clear fan-favourite. As a relative newbie to the band, I was pleasantly surprised by their cover of Rihanna’s ‘Stay’. Their heavier rendition was reminiscent of American rock band Thirty Seconds to Mars’ own take on the heartbreaking tune, albeit with something entirely their own mixed in.

All in all, it was a great night full of good music and unadulterated fun. It’s safe to say the bands have earned themselves a new fan.

In the afternoon of 17 October, an episode of an American TV show ‘Family Ingredients’ was filmed on King’s College London’s (KCL) Strand Quadrangle....

News Editor Ansel Bayly reviews the Labour Government’s first 100 days in office, arguing that the root causes of Labour’s challenging start can be...

Rum Jungle performing at London's Village Underground. Rum Jungle performing at London's Village Underground.

Music

Science Editor Jana Bazeed takes the readers ‘underground’ for a Rum Jungle concert with excellent supporting acts. On 25 September 2024, up-and-coming Australian indie...

Staff Writer Angelika Etherington-Smith examines Russia’s efforts to strengthen BRICS as a counterweight to Western influence, exploring the geopolitical implications of its expanding membership...

Students

The London School of Economics (LSE) Middle East Centre hosted a panel discussion entitled ‘Israel, Gaza and the Wider Regional Conflict: Assessing the Probability...