Fashion & Lifestyle

Behind the stage at LFW

By Jessica Cooper

Day One

Despite the chill of London, I was suited and booted all in black ready for this year’s London Fashion Week! Collecting my pass I immediately headed to the highlight show of the day: the PPQ collection. I managed to nab a front row seat and watched as models came out showcasing a collection that was filled with bright, bold prints and an undercurrent 80’s vibe was felt featuring quirky skin tight jumpsuits and neon hues. Afterwards, I headed off to the PPQ drinks at the Me Hotel rooftop bar and then straight to the Playboy club for the after party!

Day Two

Day two was hectic! I was working backstage at the ISSA show, and with models such as Cara  Delevingne and Jourdan Dunn, backstage was a chaotic – but enjoyable – atmosphere: clothes were flung and hairdryers blowing amid screeching crew members! It’s great to witness a show from backstage: the models strut the catwalk with confidence and relaxed poise but as soon as they get backstage to change it’s all panic, clothing changes, last minute make-up and hair teasing. The Issa show featured a palate of warm, bronze hues and bold earthy prints, inspired by wilderness and aiming to accentuate the ‘wildness’ of a woman. Cheering as the lights went down, we all calmed down with drinks of champagne!

Day Three

It was an early morning start for today – 9.15am at Somerset House for Disney’s presentation of ‘The Fashion of Oz’, where we got a first-hand look at some of the costumes worn in the film by the stars of the film – and yes, I made sure I stroked James Franco’s jacket… As well as costumes from the film, fashion inspired by Disney’s new film was showcased: Nicholas Kirkwood was there, unveiling his designs for an exclusive four-piece shoe collection inspired by the film. It was a fantastic merging of both fashion and film. We were treated to a delicious breakfast of bright emerald melon Bellini’s, stacks of Oz cupcakes and savoury ‘yellow brick road’ tarts.

All in all an exhausting few days for me but I always look forward to see what London Fashion Week has to offer. Till next time!