My freshers is going so well, burnt my room down last night 😅 pic.twitter.com/oGeT5Ifezz
— Joe (@JoeeMoss) September 22, 2016
First-year student Joe Moss came back to find his room “burnt down”, after he placed a faulty hairdryer on his clothes and left the room.
Around 700 students were evacuated from Great Dover Street apartments in the early hours of yesterday morning. It took four fire engines and 21 firefighters from the London Fire Brigade an hour to tackle the blaze. The building was declared safe to enter 45 minutes later.
Joe later tweeted: “I literally just got a new room but lost all my clothes and stuff”.
— King's Estates (@estateskings) September 22, 2016
In a statement made to King’s, Nick O’Donnell, Director of Real Estate Management, said: “Our staff and students responded superbly. They heard the alarm and fully co-operated, leaving the building quickly and calmly ensuring no-one was injured. Our staff are available to support anyone who wants support following this incident.”
King’s recently announced all campuses to become smoke-free. Signs announcing the removal of bins due to a fire safety hazard have also been spotted across campus.
Joe Moss was unavailable to reach for comment.