The case for a Premier League all star week

The Premier League is arguably the most marketable football league in the world with some of the biggest names in the game. But an all-star break could make the league even bigger and offer an extra dimension to increase the excitement.

There aren’t many things the Americans do well, but their domestic sports are very much one. Basketball and the NBA is America’s fastest growing sport, having quickly replaced the NFL and MLB as America’s pastime. One of the ways the NBA has achieved such success is its all star weekend.

The all star weekend uses a simple format, the best players are selected from each conference via a fan vote with the two most popular players being named captains. The captains then enter a draft to build their squad for a one off expedition game. There are a variety of other events such as the three-point contest, dunk contest and skills challenge.

Whilst the format wouldn’t be exactly translatable to the Premier League, other formats could be adopted. A far-fetched idea, but could a North vs South game could finally decide which end of the country is more dominant? (it may be hard to work out if Leicester city is the North or South though). Similarly, a top 6 vs best of the rest game may be a brilliant way to showcase hidden gems and prove the Prem is the most competitive league in the world.

There could also be opportunities for games for U21 players to promote the next generation and smaller events such as skill challenges or 5-a-side tournaments.

This season, the Prem scrapped the mid-season break, but in future seasons it could serve as a brilliant way to engage fans during the tough middle months of the season. It would also serve as a good chance for clubs battling relegation and those stuck in the mid-table mezzanine to reassess and kick on for the rest of the season.

The game could soon stagnate, this could be the best way to keep pushing the global brand that is the premier league and settle some crucial fan debates.

During a channel crossing event in late February, six King’s College London (KCL) students formed the majority of a crew rescued by the French...

Chairman Lord Geidt was found to have broken lobbying rules following an investigation by the House of Lords Commissioners for Standards. The chairman of...

After the runaway success of their last production, staged inside the majestic baroque settings of the Strand Chapel, King’s College London Opera Society is...

Creative Corner

Creative Corner is a space to share your creative writing at Roar! We hope you enjoy this poem written by May Zaben Calloused fingers...

News Editor Daisy Eastlake looks into the British accent divide and what it means for social mobility within the UK. Like many university students,...

Staff Writer, Chloe Riala, comments on the intense nature of the run-in for the 2023/24 Premier League season, with Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City...

Staff writer Sam Lord investigates why the men’s football team (KCLMFC) pulled out of their Varsity fixture this year. One of the most anticipated...

To understand how the KCL Women’s Football team are approaching Varsity, staff writer Daisy Redhead sat down with Ines Sargren. Roar: What is the...