Serial drink spiking incidents reported at Dover Castle Bar

A series of 15 drink spiking incidents have reportedly taken place at Dover Castle Bar (DC), Great Dover Street, over the past three weeks, six of which taking place on Friday, October 1, some warranting urgent medical assistance.

An anonymous student told KCL It Happens Here (IHH) that “[Dance Soc] and other sports societies are advising to avoid DC for the near future until more information is found about these events…

“I know DC has posted a statement…and they are working with police currently.”

King’s College Health Centre said, “the best advice would be that if a person thinks their drink has been spiked, they should call 111 and the Met police.

“We encourage patients to call us in the morning if they feel they need medical advice and support after the incident so that we can help them based on their individual needs and circumstances.”

Affected students can also contact The Havens, a specialist sexual assault centre with a hub at King’s College Hospital, Camberwell, either directly or through a referral by their GP.

IHH has a resource pack with internal and external resources survivors can access for support.

Elena Barreau, Treasurer of IHH, added that “It Happens Here is definitely here for anyone, regardless of what’s happened to them. Especially now, it would be a good time for people to know that there is a place for them.

“They do have community, this happens all the time and it is never their fault.”

KCLSU say they are aware of the situation and “… are following this issue closely and speaking to any relevant parties to ensure we remain aware and take action.” It says students who wish to report an incident can reach out to [email protected], and signpost to a DrinkAware information pack on the subject for more information and advice.

It adds that, “If you are personally affected by any incidents at KCLSU venues … please seek immediate assistance from KCLSU staff or security in our venues. You can use our ‘Ask Angela’ code, or just ask to be taken to a safe place for proper help. This may also help us with identifying the person who has spiked the drink.”

“We would like to remind everyone that the spiking of drinks is an assault: a criminal offence with serious consequences, which could lead to a prison sentence of up to 10 years.”

Roar will update this report as more information arises.

Health Support:
King’s Health Centre
The Havens – (Urgent: 020 3299 6900; non-urgent: 20 3299 1599)
TRUE VISION – https://www.report-it.org.uk

Helplines:
Rape Crisis: 0808 802 9999 (For female survivors aged 14+)
Victim Support: 0808 16 89 111
Men’s Advice Line: 0808 80 10 327
Survivors UK: 08451221201 (For male survivors)

News Editor at Roar News

News Editor; BA Liberal Arts, majoring in Politics