King’s Policy Institute’s annual competition Policy Idol, in which participants pitch innovative policy ideas, is now accepting submissions. The competition will be held entirely virtually, and participants are asked to share their ideas through videos. Winners will receive training and feedback from professionals from the world of politics, academia and industry and cash prizes. Registration closes on February 5. 

Policy Idol is an annual competition which encourages KCL students from all departments to come up with and develop their own innovative policy ideas. Topics of entries may vary. From a policy combating inequality amongst societies to one that decreases loneliness amongst elderly people, all ideas are welcomed. Students may enter individually or as a team. The website does not indicate any specific limits on the number of students per team.

Pitching your idea

Applications are open until February 5 and are submitted through the following form. Participants have the option to write a short paragraph describing their idea or to shoot a short (no longer than 90 seconds long) video. The most impressive pitches will be shortlisted with the respective candidates proceeding to heat stages. During those, competitors are expected to convincingly pitch their ideas to a panel of jury through a video. Therefore, shooting a video from the earliest stage is encouraged. The best presentations earn their place in the finals, while also receiving bespoke policy analysis and communications training. The finalists then compete for bigger cash prizes.

Previous shortlisted ideas include policies aiming at securing healthier and safer working places, the building of a system that keeps companies engaged with the UK during post-Brexit times and other. 

Previous final judges include former universities and science minister Lord Jo Johnson, director of the Institute for Government Bronwen Maddox, crossbench peer and former chair of the Covid-19 Rough Sleeping Taskforce Dame Louise Casey and other professionals in the sphere. 

For further information contact the team on policy-institute@kcl.ac.uk

Deputy Editor @ Roar News. Liberal Arts. Content creation, design, photography. Huge nature and mountain lover.